Thorichthys aka Firemouths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
So my long distance friend from here Mike (Pitbull) had various species of Thorichthys. When I was still a kid I always wanted one but as I got older I got more into the bigger badder cichlids like the Jaguar Cichlid (Parachromis managuense), Oscars, RTM's (Parachromis motaguense) which I still own one a male from Rio Blanco but this thread isn't about him.

Well I got interested into them again and after debating whether or not I wanted them I decided yes I did. I found T. pasionis and T. maculipinnis on aquabid being sold by WetSpot. I bought them 6 each and they came in good health. This was sometime last year. I sadly never took pictures till today. I also just got in today some T. meeki and T. sp. 'Gold Mixteco' from Jeff Rapps. The two species I got from WetSpot are in my 135 gallon. I got 2 males and 4 females of T. pasionis the T. maculipinnis are still on the small size. The two I got from Jeff Rapps are in quarantine in a 53 gallon of which I got 4 of each species. They are mixed right now and they both look the same but will be easily identify-able when there bigger.

Thorichthys maculipinnis

Thorichthys pasionis

Last edited:

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Nice looking fish. I don't normally keep Central Americans but I saw a pair in the lfs a month ago that were starting to court and I picked them up and now I have a big cloud of fry.

Andy

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Sorry, don't have any pictures.

Was curious if the other Thorichthys species like you have also produce the big clouds of fry. I figure the spawn was in the 200-300 range. Have you spawned any of yours and do they have similar size broods?

Andy

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Mine have not spawned yet. The tank there in has an over abundance of pleco's. We go people coming tomorrow to check my floor to get new carpet put in since mine was sliced by me. My tank over flowed and the water soaked through the carpet. Only thing is this house was made in the 50's and well back then they used real wood flooring so it started to rise and it looked like I had a dead body coming to life in the middle of my room. So once that is fixed ill be getting the tanks I need 1 by 1. My T. pasionis will be the first to get there own tank. I'm sure they will spawn when there home is a little bit more peaceful.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
There being housed with various species of pleco's and with a Prochilodus rubrotaeniatus. I plan on moving all the Thorichthys to there own tanks and leaving the Prochilodus to itself with some pleco's in the 135 that it's currently in. Maybe add some Silver Dollars. That won't be for awhile though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store