Skimmer Pump Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
So I've been using the aqua C urchin skimmer for 92 gal tank. The collection cup never really fills up. There is bit of wet skimmate in the collection cup and the neck is always coated with gunk but the cup itself never really gets that full. I dont know if this is just because my tank is very lightly stocked at the moment(only 2 fish plus about 7 corals) or because the skimmer is not functioning properly. To give you an idea, I can literally leave the cup for 3 weeks and it won't even be half full. Of course I don't do this routinely since I know you have to keep the neck clean for proper functioning. Also, I have tried adjusting the collection cup to various levels. Only a little bit more of wet skimmate is produced if I lower the cup. A long time ago contacted the manufacturer about the about the proper water level to submerge it and was told that it doesn't matter as long as the pump is submerged.

I bought the skimmer of craigslist and it came with a mag drive 3.5 http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mag-drive-supreme-3-pump-350gph.html

According to the manual for the skimmer, it states that "The Rio 800 water pump is designed to connect directly to the Urchin’s flexible hose" The Rio 800 is only a 200 gph pump while the mag drive is a 350 gph pump. Is the 140 or so difference in GPH causing my problem?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The Rio has a better impeller for skimmer usage. You can get one for the Mag that is designed for skimmer use, or you can modify your existing one. The blades are notched to chop up the air. I modified a Mag 7 impeller for skimmer usage by drilling a couple of small holes in each blade.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ok that's interesting, i had no idea that the impellar should be a certain way for skimmers. I'm kinda weary about doing stuff like that to my equipment because I tend to mess it up on my first try lol. But I'll look into that. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store