Ich or no?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnandheather

AC Members
Feb 16, 2013
Hi all!

I had a wonderful post typed with all kinds of info, when the page crashed after hitting the post button...so, I'm just going to keep this short and sweet to see if it works...

I have a tank with various mollies, cory catfish, a pictus catfish, and a pleco. One of the black mollies has white spots between some of its scales. We were worried of ich, so we've slowly raised the temp to 86F and have added 1TBS salt/10 gallons (that's as high as we were comfortable with the pleco/catfish in there). All of the nitrate, nitrite, ammonia readings are well within the safe range. Our pH is 8.0. One oddity is that we've had a lot of free floating algae clouding up our water, about the same time this started. The fish doesn't seem bothered, but we sure do! The spots don't seem granular, as I'd expect ich to be...any suggestions?

Sorry again for the brief post...will answer any questions I can!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It is possible that it is...some pics might help identify it....

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Have you been through a case of ich before? Any recent additions to the tank?

Kudos to stating your ammo,nitrite, nitrate.

I've read that salt can be lethal to many freshwater aquatic plants, so be careful there.

johnandheather

AC Members
Feb 16, 2013
This is my first case of ich, although, the tank is relatively new. We just got set up in December, so it's only been a couple months. We've now moved the affected fish to another aquarium, so I'll be removing the salt, bit by bit with water changes (actually had one today). I'll keep the temps in that tank up, just in case it is ich.

littleg902

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
You have another thread on here which I answered, but this one seems to have more activity. Im going to say columnaris/saddleback disease. Real common these days in livebearers, sadly. Maracyn II is the only cure that's worked for me to some degree. Minimizing stress is very important when treating. As well as soaking flakes and frozen foods in garlic guard. It is also very contagious. If it is columnaris, isolate it immediately. I'm 80% sure, but lets see what others have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store