Gluing Frags down

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

firstdon

AC Members
Apr 13, 2005
Queens, New York
Hi guys,

What is your opinion on gluing frags down to rock. My rockwork doesnt have alot of crevices or holes to hide plugs. Im also scared of gluing something down that I wont be able to later remove or move if I need to. If something is glued down to rock its pretty much stuck there right with little chance of removing it? Am I correct in saying that?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
depends on the frag type some are easier to move then others once glued and starting to grow for a while. once mine leave the frag rack they get glued to the rock otherwise I run the risk of the plug or rock frag being knocked to the substrate and stolen by my pistol shrimp.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nope, not permanent. You can move them as long as you use super glue gel or one of the aquarium safe 2 part epoxy puddies. While both hold firm, they are fairly easy to break under water to reglue other places. I personally never use the puddy (too messy, unsightly and makes my skimmer go nuts). Superglue gel is the way to go for ease and looks.

I have moved corals that have encrusted around the plug and onto the surrounding rock. This was not done on purpose but in the process, I literally tore several favia polyps away from the main plug. Both the coral attached to the rock and frag plug fully heeled in a couple of weeks. Corals are more resilient that a lot of people think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store