new 125g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LSDDan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Ontario
Visit site
just bought a 125g tank, 72x18x24 just want some suggestions what sa/ca cichlids i should put in there.

also, gonna be using a wet/dry trickle filter with approx. 1100 gph flow, and a magnum 350 with carbon filter should that be sufficient for filtration or do i need more? thanks in advance for any help

bayoupr

AC Members
Oct 13, 2002
Avondale, La.
Visit site
Looks like you got more than you payed for. I got a 125g and its 72x18x20. I think a 72x18x24 is a 135g. As for the type of cichlid, probably any ca/sa youwant. I would stay away from a Dovi because they will outgrow even that size tank.

Last edited:

kevinfishboy

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
rockford
Visit site
What abou oscar,Dempey, GT Jag cichlid pike cichlid or you could do it all with African ciclids

LSDDan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Ontario
Visit site
the lfs told me the oscar will eventually kill those others once it's full grown, anyone have any experience?

i'm thinking about going with 2 cons, 2 salvinis, jd, gt and possibly 1 more but im not sure if they'll all fit

i got another question if anyone can answer.
i was building my wet/dry trickle today and bought some aquarium safe silicone and on the front it said 100% silicone rubber. at the local hardware store they had large tubes of silicone that said 100% silicone rubber but it wasn't clear like the aquarium safe stuff it was white. is this stuff the same thing?

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
The LFS told you wrong. I really don't see even a full-grown Oscar taking out any of those other cichlids. It really doesn't matter, Oscars are over-rated anyway.

I would be concerned that those Salvini, when they reach full-size, will start picking off tank mates.

ninerfan

AC Members
Apr 4, 2004
Visit site
I would not worry too much about the oscar. I had one and it never really bullied other fish. I had danios and corie cats in there at one time and they never got touched for years. I think part of the key is to raise the fish together, My O was raised with corries and danios, and was always fine with them.

some_guy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2004
maquoketa, IA
Visit site
Originally posted by ninerfan
I would not worry too much about the oscar. I had one and it never really bullied other fish. I had danios and corie cats in there at one time and they never got touched for years. I think part of the key is to raise the fish together, My O was raised with corries and danios, and was always fine with them.

lol, ya my tiger O killed a harp that we put in there in like 30 min. it almost killed my firemouth and my jd but those s.o.b.s can put up a good fight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store