40B african tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i currently have a 40B with a few semi agressive fish but i have been wanting to change it into a different setup or style with different species. Im not sure if i want african or new world cichlids. Ive had new world cichlids before (jack dempsey, convict, oscar) so i figured i could try africans. My question is what type of african could i keep in a 40B and how many?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Not many in that size due to footprint, You may be able to do a species only setup with the more Dwarf varieties of Mbuna like Pseudotropheus saulosi and some Afra's..

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
The Malawi options are a little limited. The smaller peacocks will probably work. Rusties or yellow labs would probably work too.

The tanganikan options are the smaller ones that aren't overly aggressive. Shellies, Julie's and some of the lamprologus should work.

Most Victorian haps should work in a 40 breeder.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im just trying to consider all my options and venture into different varieties and species to get a little experience. Ive seen some stunning african tanks that i first thought were saltwater tanks! They come in so many colors its like having a reef without the price tag to match it xD . Ill deffinately research more on suitable africans for my tank size and such. As i get my feet more wet in this hobby the more addicted i get xD

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Always research what you want, its never a bad ideal.. Have fun deciding..

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I think a species tank of Psuedotropheus saulosi would be a good option. What is nice about them is the males(blue) and females(yellow) are attractive but different colors.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Verbal its like having two different types of fish but really they are the same just different sexual coloration..

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ill definately look into those. Also since id be new to africans, i heard that you should slightly over stock to cut down on agression or get breeding trios. Is the agression really that bad? I dont mind it because ive dealt with agressive fish but i never understood how adding more fish would cut the agression down.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Ill definately look into those. Also since id be new to africans, i heard that you should slightly over stock to cut down on agression or get breeding trios. Is the agression really that bad?
Psuedotropheus saulosi is an Mbuna, but not an overly aggressive one. With tank size and Psuedotropheus saulosi, I would do 2 males with 4 to 6 females. You might have to get a group of 10 and remove extra males as they mature.

I dont mind it because ive dealt with agressive fish but i never understood how adding more fish would cut the agression down.

Fatal aggression often is the result of the dominant fish picking on the fish at the bottom of the pecking order. Or relentlessly harassing the 2nd in the hierarchy.

With more fish the dominant fish has his attention spread, so he can't pick on just one fish. Also the crowding doesn't allow them to be very rigid about their territory.

One thing to remember is your filtration should match your stocking rather than your tank size. If you put "100 gallons of fish" into a 40 gallon tank, you need to filter for 100 gallons worth of fish.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Right now its filtered with a fluval c4 and an aquaclear 70. So it has about 600gph. I dont have them running at full power now but with cichlids being messy(IME) I would have at least one of those running full power. Is their any requirement for africans besides a higher ph? Such as temp, diet, etc? So far my research has led me to believe a ph of about 8.2(?), temp of 78, a mixed diet, rock( or slate) structure with plenty of spots to hide, and a sandy substrate. Am i missing anything or does that sound about right so far?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store