What is a "well established tank"? re: adding anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I've read over and over in some of these threads that anemome's should not be added to new tanks, and should only be added to well established tanks.

Does someone have a more concrete definition of what a "well established tank" really is?

When is it safe to add an anemone!?

Thanks,

_Decz

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I hardly ever refer anyone to another site, but in this case I believe I will.
I am refering to a thread entitled "Maturity Issues" in the Coral Forum over on Reef Central.
This thread with comments by noted coral authority Eric Borneman, details the stages each new tank goes through and what populations are expanding with what results at any given stage.
Basically you are waiting for the populations of several types of flora and fauna (from bacteria to amphipods) to swell and then be stabalized by any number of chemical and biological processes.
It is a fascinating study of successional population dynamics- pioneer species to climax populations (to borrow a few neat phrases).

It also has to do with your getting stabalized as far as keeping your water parameters as perfect as possible with little variation. I don't know how long you've been involved in marine tanks but getting a handle on calcium and alkalinity and learning how to keep it stable takes all of six months or more :D
Stable is the key word. You need to be able to manage your tank so that the SG stays stable, the pH, calcium, alkalinity, etc. all stay stable. Wide up and down swings of anything are troublesome to reef creatures.

The recommendations I have heard list six months as the earliest possible time (after cycling) to add an anenome, with one year as a more realistic time. This assumes that there have been no major upsets with the tank in question and diligence on the part of the reefkeeper in terms of studying up on the needs of each specific animal.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
WONDERFULL Cearbhaill! Two thumbs up ! There is however one exception IME you can add rock anemonies to a fairly new tank. These guys are very hardy if they have enough light and really aren't that sensative to polutants IME. They are also cheap, pretty abundant and have a pretty fast reproductive rate in the wild. I think that they are the best anemone to start with and will show you almost all of their wonderfull behaviors with very little of the risks involved with anemonies in general. They are hardy,non-aggresive, long lived come in a rainbow of colours, don't move around too much. The only real caution you would have to take with them is to avoid one's that have been dyed because they will probably die.
hth
chris

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I received both a rock anemone (Epicystis something?) and a Condylactis with my Tampa Bay Saltwater package, and both did really well for the brief time I had them.
I didn't think they were recommended for reef tanks (?) so I traded them away (along with numerous urchins, crabs, and a sea cucumber that wouldn't stay put).

Heck now I have to go look up what exactly spooked me about them :mad:
Probably just that I have limited space and a pretty rigid plan about what I have room for... any space I give to a drab anemone is room I won't have for that stunning BTA I'm working towards.
The Condy moved around a whole lot, and the epi was just guilty by association :rolleyes:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
LOL, I have an issue with the condy's myself! Yes they are hardy but, they can be a holly terror in a reef. IME they eat just about anything small that gets close to them & sting anything that can't get away from them. I have never had problem one out of a epi though and I think that they and the bubble tips " a little harder to take care of", are just about the best anemone for a reef tank. Most of the others long tentacle, carpets ," please no one buy one of these" and various and sundry other anemonies have a long list of draw backs. I really am of the opinion that there is something missing in the reef tank environment that is vital to some of their survival.
:D
chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store