An Inline Security Thermostat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
I have been searching around and to no avail. My first heater, a cheap one I will admit, stuck on me and was on its way to frying my first fish. Luckily I caught it and had a backup.

Is there such thing as an inline thermostat? One where you plug the heater into and a probe would go into the tank to determine the temperature. Just incase the heater fails and remains 'on' then the inline thermostat would sense the temperature going above a maximum threshold, one I set, and shut off the outlet until it decreases in temperature and then cycles it on and off to retain the temperature.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Some heaters come with such a controller. Ranco is a very good brand of dedicated temp controllers.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Look for an aquarium heater temperature controller. There are a few brands out there, Ranco seems to be a popular brand.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Seems efficient. Price isn't too bad either. I will keep looking around though; I just need something simple to shut off the outlet if the temp goes above a set limit and maybe, if it's available, an alarm for if the temp goes below a set limit. I have got to be the most paranoid person...

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
That's what I need! Are they expensive? Is Apex the brand or a model name?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Its the model line name, yes they're pricey $200 for the base model system. $500 for deluxe. Its oriented for reef setups to control, temp, lights, pumps, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store