What exactly do German Blue Rams need?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm getting to the point where I'm going to do the things I want to do (set up a tank for RCS breeding, and one for culls that aren't red enough to be used for GBR treats) to get a pair of GBR. My question is what do they really need, in the real world? For example, I've done some research, and see things like they need caves to feel comfortable. Does a rock with an overhang qualify? Does a piece of wood topped with Java fern qualify? Do I need to buy/make a structure that's more cave like? I read that they're pretty docile most of the time, and can be in a community tank with little to no risk, but how much do their tolerances vary from common tetra varieties (which comprise most of my stocking)? Is there a primer on their care that's reliable?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
blue rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi) aka GBR are generally intolerant of poor water.. this means they are generally sensitive to less than pristine water.. (your mileage will vary..as the fish has become more tolerant as of late)
one thing I find important is to get your Rams from a reputable source...
they do like stucture.. it does not have to be caves.. but they do gravitate to structure and plants..mine like drift wood caves..I use fairly large driftwood and cover it with java fern or anubias.. when it grows out it creates structure ..they will go in caves tho.
driftwood tangles work well too.

I do find they seem ti like warm water (80-82) young rams even a bit warmer.
and clean water..
they are pugnacious and will pretty much stand up to most tetras.. I have them with discus and angels.. no issues..
mine wil take food from the adult discus who seem to tolerate the Rams.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So, be extra diligent with water changes. Don't buy from chain stores (PetSmart has started carrying them, and they're significantly cheaper than my preferred LFS, but 25 of the 25 fish I bought at my LFS are still alive after almost 2 years, while 6 of the 12 I bought at PetSmart are still alive. Plus the LFS has more colorful rams.) A literal cave is not necessary, but something to comfortably hide under and around is. Warm up the water from the 76 I normally keep it at. Attitude wise, they should be fine with my stocking, barring any bizarreness. Does that sum it up?

Oh, and they'll eat shrimp, yes? I've seen differing accounts. Some say yes, some no, some say juvies are victimized but adults ignored....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store