Getting my cichlids to be more active

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Maddhatter

AC Members
May 24, 2009
How can i get my juvenile cichlids to become more active? 6 weeks ago i moved them into a larger tank from a 36 gallon bowfront to a 75 gallon long and they have been hiding ever since. The only main difference in the tanks besides the size is i changed from a gravel substrate to a sand substrate and from artificial caves to stacked stone. They dont even react to the LED lighting and i have tried them on blue, green, yellow, and soft white. Its 8 of them in the tank each approx 2.5 inches long. Any suggestions would be great.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
What's the temperature of the water? Being cold blooded, the warmer a fish is the faster its metabolism and the more active it is. I wouldn't go over 82F for most species. Also having fish swimming actively in open water will draw them out. Giant Danios and Rainbows work well.

Maddhatter

AC Members
May 24, 2009
I have been keeping it between 74 and 76 degrees. I might try to increase the temperature a little bit, Thanks for the information. I will also look into the rainbows and danios when my lfs opens today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store