Raising German Blue Ram Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sharmz30

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Hi everyone, my German Blue Rams spawned last night and I am busy getting all my facts straight before they hatch (if they do!).
I have found a few good websites on timelines or what to feed and how big they are at various weeks etc, but still have a few questions that need answering. I would like input from people who have had actual experience with raising German Blue Ram fry please.
1) When they hatch (after about 36-48 hours), they are not considered free swimming, but do they still need me to provide food at this stage? If so what???
2) When they become free swimming (at about 5 days), what do I feed then?

I have heard of Hikari First Bites, Infusoria, Wardley Small Fry Liquid Food. I actually have Hikari first bites and Wardley liquid drops available at the moment but would have to prepare the Infusoria if suggested.
3) Since the eggs were laid in my 20 gal community tank, is it okay to put Infusoria in the water? Will this later be a problem when I put my schooling fish back in (ie. make the water unhealthy for the fish, etc)?

Please help me out as this is my first time dealing with fish fry, although I have tried to do my research. Will keep you guys posted as to what happens!
Thanks

Samsmobb

AC Members
Feb 1, 2012
Gaithersburg Maryland
As soon as they are born they are called wigglers. Wiggles are baby fish with a huge belly sac causing then to only wiggle their tales and not move. They do not need good for the first few days as they get all their nourishment from this egg sac. When the become free swimming they will benefit the most from bbs or baby brine shrimp LIVE. Other than that you can try your hikari powder food but I didn't have much success with that.
It will be more difficult raising them in a community tank as opposed alone in a 5-10 gallon bare bottom tank. Due to water cleanliness and food availability. In a community tank with gravel and vegetation, the fry will have much less access to food as oppose to a BARE BOTTOM tank. Also a bb tank will be much much easier to preform frequent water changes on. Seeing as these fry should be fed around 3 times a day id say daily water changes is a must.

sharmz30

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Thank you for replying. I took the schooling fish out, so at the moment it is just the eggs and the father (the mother died two hours after laying last night). He is still guarding them, and I hope they hatch in the morning.
Thanks again, and will keep you posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store