Camallanus worm treatment HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
I noticed the other day that one of my female platys has like whats look like the end of a little red thread hanging out of her anus. She really isnt eating either and looks kinda skinny. She is the only fish in my tank that i noticed that hanging out of their anus and the only one acting funny but i figured if one has it that they all have it!! Does it sound like the problem i have? I have a few items on ebay that im looking at and i really need someone to help me choose which would be the best treatment for my fish. The LFS dont have fish meds with the ingredient "levamisole" in it so i would have to order it from the internet. Is that leva stuff the only thing that will get rid of these stupid worms or would something else work the same or work better then levamisole crap? BTW its a 20 gal tank with a few platies, a few dwarf gouramis, a BN pleco and a few ghost shrimp so it would have to be something that wouldnt effect them as well! Here is links to the items i am looking at and it would be a HUGE help if someone could help me pick out which one of these items would work the best to get rid of these worms!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-De-Wor...161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cd9b1489

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-ML-AZOO...200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231caec178

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levamisole-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27cadc7166

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
i only put them in like a week ago and that would be really quick for them to be poking out, could they come from tetra freeze dried worms? I guess i should ask what would be the most effective, having them eat the meds in food form IE mixed with flake, putting the med as a powder into the liquid or getting the one that come as a liquid and putting the med into the water? I just really need the answer to that so i can order it and have it here asap! My bettas are showing NO signs and im not sure if fry can get it but the bettas and fry are in different tanks then this crap is going on. God this is frustrating!! Im pretty sure i know the worms either came from PETCO or PETSMART, surprisinly not walmart!

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
i was wondering if anyone knew which was better, Fenbendazole or levamisole? i was thinking of just ordering both online but was curious which one of these meds works alot better on killing these fricken pests!! Any advice would be grately appreciated!!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
neither works better I have treated with both..and feel it took BOTH and feeding them the medicated food, Angel's plus http://www.angelsplus.com/ has Fenbendazole and levamisole flakes that a i fed while treating the water with both kind of meds.

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
I just ordered some stuff off ebay and spent 28 bucks on it. I ordered 10 grams of powdered levamsoil and 12 packets of 250 mg Fenbendazole, the fenb one is specificly made for fish and its not one for cats or dogs. My plan is to put the levamsoil directly in the tank and soak the Fenbendazole in some freeze dried blood worms since thats all i have but i would really like to use their flake food since all of them love that and they can be kind of picky with the FD blood worms but i dont know if a person could use flake since i think they would just melt. Does that sound like it will work? There is a pleco in there and im worried it wont get any medicated food so i hope putting it in the water will work for it. Only 3 platies are showing real signs of it, the worse one has 3 worms hanging out and they other two just gravel sit alot, the 3 DGs, BN pleco, and the other few platies show no signs at all but i know they have it but the good thing is that all of them still eat just fine. One major question i have is that i hope someone could answer is will these worms or medications affect the fry inside my 3 females? They are going to drop fry any day this week and when they are born can these worms infect them? If i put the new fry in my fry tank that has a month old fry in it would it effect the month old ones? Thanks for the advice on this and my fish thank you!! :goldfish:

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
treat every fish in every tank, if you have dipped a net or cleaning tool or even moved fish that look healthy from the infected tank it spreads so easily treat EVERYONE.

they might affect unborn fry but if you don't treat the female she will die and so will the fry.

when worms are showing they are dropping microscopic eggs, that fry and everything eat.

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
Yeah thats what i read in that forum link you gave me, i was wondering about what happens if i use like the same net in the tank and then use it in another tank, i have two nets but only one gravel vac and i gotta do two tanks today. Can that crap spread even after the net has dried or ran boiling water over it through the sink? I know ich dies really quick and once stuff drys its dead for sure, i sure hope once the stuff drys that it dies with it. You think i should treat my bettas too? The female was living in the twenty gallon before i tried to breed them, the only thing i noticed with them is their tummies and anus get a lil swollen but thats usually after feedings so i think thats from consipation since bettas are pigs and get plugged up really easy so i only feed them every other day. I would just feel bad if i have to treat them with that too since they are getting over a mild case of ich so do you think i should just treat every fish tank i have? I tell you one thing, if this was my first fish tank i would prolly give up on fish but ten years ago, the only thing i ever had to worry about was ich!! Id rather deal with ich any day over these worms!! These worms must be on the rise or something cuz i dont remember even hearing about these years ago when i got my first tank. LFS should always stock GOOD meds to combat this crap! God i hope only my 20 gallon is infected and i can get rid of these worms!! How many times or how long did it take you to fully get rid of these worms?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
from my experience dealing with this worm ..treat every single tank if there is even a slight chance water from the infected tank has even touched the other tanks...it can infect fish for months before it starts showing in the fish.

treat, treat some more, and when you think it is 100% gone treat again.

trust me you do not want to battle this worm for years..just treat! nuke them to death and do it quickly.

I do not think just drying things out is enough for these bugs...after dealing with it for so long I would not trust that method..bleach water maybe than cleaned with de chlorinated water..or maybe boiling.

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
I have read where some people just kill all their fish and start over, i for one could not do that and think thats just being LAZY! i care too much for my fish even if they are between 1-10 dollars each! I will do anything and everything to just keep a single fish alive but this worm is something on which i have never delt with. Is this like one of the more serious things your fish can get? Im pretty sure i have enough of that F drug to last me a long time but i only got like 8 doses of the lev drug, you think it would be a good idea to just get a bag of that lev flake food and just mix it in with their daily flakes or is that a bad idea?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store