best schooling fish to add to shrimp tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

titansfever83

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
AL
I have a 16g tank from innovative-marine.com It's gonna be a "show" tank in my daughters nursery(she's 10 months) so I'll be taking care of it of course.

I plan on getting either CRS or cherry shrimp and I'm looking for a nice small group of schooling fish that will do well with the shrimp and their requirements. I really want something that stands out with color and schooling/swimming habits. So far I like the celestial pearl danio but I'm wanting you guys to post up some of your favorites or ones that you have always wanted just to help in my search for the perfect one.

The hardscaping will be one large manzanita branch that fills up the tank with about 6-8 pieces of seiryu stone and black sand. I am still not sure if I want to go planted on this tank, probably not since it will be more $ and maintenance.

Anyway, post up your favorite schooling fish!! Thanks

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive never owned any celestial pearl danios but i want to one day. They are stunning. But ive also heard that they tend to stay still alot of the time. But as mentioned before , you can use neons :D (my favorite schooling fish)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
There are several small danios that would work well in a dwarf shrimp tank.

Danio nigrofasciatus (Dwarf Spotted Danio)

Danio tinwini (Goldring Danio)

Danio choprae (Glowlight Danio)

Danio margaritatus (Celestial Pearl Danio)

Danio_aesculapii (Panther Danio)

Danio erythromicron (Emerald Dwarf Rasbora)

Best of luck with your project!

Dennis

titansfever83

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
AL
thanks a lot guys and thanks dennis for such a detailed post!

Keep them coming and they do not have to be limited to danios, anything small, colorful, and schooling.

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
You might want to try White Cloud Mountain minnows. They are not that showy but are very hardy.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chanj

AC Members
Apr 20, 2004
Visit site
I've had cpd and crs together in the past and it worked out great. Just keep in mind that the cpd don't really school. Regardless they were very active darting in and out of crevices. I'd recommend adding some moss. Easy to maintain and adds some green

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lise

AC Members
Oct 13, 2010
My celestial pearl danios are very active and follow the neons everywhere. Sometimes one or two will wander off by itself, but when it's feeding time they join up again. I've had a tough time finding more to buy, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store