New 210 Gallon - Stocking assistance and equipment check requested

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
I did post this in another forum, but am not getting any feedback. Sorry if you have seen this post elsewhere!

I took delivery of my dream toy a week and a half ago. It's now cycling with a H.O.T Magnum from my established 75 gallon and 10 Black Tetras. The Tetras will be moved before adding the Cichlids in a couple of weeks. The Tetras seem to love all the space!

Specs:

• 210 Gallon – 6’x24”x29”
• 240lbs Eco Complete African Cichlid "Live/Active" sand
• Approximately 100lbs lace rock with 150 more to add when I move the existing cichlids
• Koralia Magnum 8 Pump
• 2x Marineland C-530 Canister Filters (530GPH ea)
• H.O.T Magnum HOB Canister (250GPH) from my established tank. I may swap this out in a couple of months and add an FX5 if needed. Any opinons on this?
• 2x300 watt heaters
• 2 Aqueon Modular LED lights + I added 2 color enhancing strips

My plan is to keep my existing stock and add to it with more of same species and I hope 3 other species. They have been living in my 75 gallon for over a year now with only a female Yellow Lab being lost (recent as they get older and more aggressive). Although, when I started the tank I lost about 8 Demosani as they were very small – Hence the one remaining. I got most of them when they were juveniles so I know I am now going to have to trade in some males for females. Also, I am certain a number probably Hybrids, unfortunately.

Current fish

• 3M/3F Labidchromis Caeruleus (Yellow Labs)
• 2M/2F Melanchromis Cyaneorhabdos (Electric Blue Johanni)
• 1M/2F Maylandia Estherae (Red Zebra)
• 1 OB Peacock
• 1M Demosani
• 1M/1F Auloncara Kandeensis (Sulfur Head Peacock)
• 1F Lab Hongi? Or Hybrid Rusty?
• 5 (not sure of mix) Syndontis Euptera (Feather Fin Catfish)

-24 Fish total

My plan is to get rid of 1 Male Yellow Lab and add 2 females. I am not sure what to do with the Johannis. I have read they are aggressive, but have not seen it. If you think getting rid of them would add more possibilities for different kinds of Cichlids, I would like to know.

The only fish I will add for certain is 1M/4F Blue Acei’s.

I would like to see as many suggestions as possible from all of you. Also, if you can think of any red colored species, this would be a preference.

Equipment suggestions also very much welcomed!

Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks in advance!

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Wow. Sounds great so far. Most Malawi cichlids are territorial but not outwardly aggressive. With such a large aquarium, Johannis shouldn't interfere with additional species any more than Zebras. Red Jewel Cichlids aren't Malawi cichlids but they are African and have beautiful red color.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I also agree the tank is large enough for all of the species you listed, you do not have to remove the extra male yellow lab unless you really want to that is, the FX5 sounds like a great choice so if you can use that i would say go for it.. As for a nice red fish some Ruby Red Peacocks would look awesome..

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I was looking at the Ruby Red Peacocks and was thinking of them and am leaning towards that option. Maybe 1M/4F? I had not thought of the Red Jewel as I thought that would not be a good match with the existing species due to aggression. Perhaps I can get away with that in this large of a tank?

I do water changes every 1-2 weeks at about 25%. With the filtration, what size population could I have? I am hoping for around 35 or so.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
In a tank that size and with sticking to Malawi mostly Mbuna i would do 50 easy.. Your filtration and water changes sound good so yep def stock what you want with fish that size..

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Thanks Pittbull. Maybe I will eventually grow it to that large of a community. Perhaps either 5 Red or Sunburst Peacocks, 5 Blue Acei, and the possibly 9 more demosoni. If I do go the demosoni direction, would you recommend giving up the Johanni due to coloration?

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Picture

Well the fish were begging to move into their new home...how could I say no? It's off to a good start. Still many more fish to add as well as eventually plants and more rocks.

photo.JPG

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I think you will be fine with the Demasoni and Johanni's if it was a smaller tank i would be concerned, if you stay with the Johanni's i would just add more of them so that there are no specific targets of aggression..

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
I have nothing intelligent to add, but wow this tank is looking good. Thanks for sharing the pic.

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Thanks Dino! I am happy about how it is coming along. I'll be adding a few more rocks, driftwood, and plants eventually...but no rush.

Thanks again for the advice Pittbull. I actually went out yesterday and picked up some additional fish...I got 3 Sunburst, 3 Taiwan Reef....and I made a newbie mistake and got a 3rd variety without doing research first that I will have to eventually bring back...3 Livingstoni. They are pretty small right now and it may be a few years before they become too large.

I am coming to the conclusion that I like Haps and Peacocks more than many of the Mbuna and if the Mbuna I have start to become aggressive, which they have not as of yet, I may bring them back. We will see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store