Will this hold my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phesarnion

AC Members
Feb 20, 2013
Reading, UK
Hi,
So Multiple-Tank Syndrome has kicked in with a vengeance. Picked up a Juwel Rekord 96L (25g) tank, filter, heater and hood for free today, intending to turn it into a cory tank, but unfortunately no stand came with it. Below should be a picture of the desk that I'd like to use to hold it, but I'm not entirely certain it's strong enough.

The top of the desk is solid wood, 19mm (3/4") thick, while the uprights, of which there are three are made of 16mm (2/3") particle board and are 40cm (1' 4") deep.

By my calculations, this means that to total area in contact with the floor is 192cm[SUP]2[/SUP] or ~30 Sq Inches, full weight of the aquarium will probably be in the region of 115Kg (254lbs), so approx 0.6kg/cm[SUP]2[/SUP] or 8.5 lbs/in[SUP]2[/SUP]

So, two questions:
Does the collective hive mind think that this desk will take the weight?
and
Should I spread the weight more with a baseplate or something similar?

Thanks for reading!

2013-02-24 20.58.30.jpg

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i would expect it to hold the static load just fine. the solid wood top is a plus over particle board which would sag

i am concerned about racking (assume the back isn't there and the top shifts sideways relative to the bottom until it's on the floor -- well, the one side it fell onto). if the back panel is >1/2 inch particle board and securely fastened to the sides, this shouldn't be a problem. still, a paranoid like myself (don't much trust particle board) would put corner braces in the four back corners

if the back is something flimsy like masonite, you DEFINITELY need to reinforce the back to keep the desk from falling apart

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
+1

Top and sides look substantial, but examine the back carefully. Even a piece of 1/4" plywood, applied over the back and screwed across the back edge of the top, sides and center support would strengthen this considerably.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Slide the tank all the way to the right so two vertical support members are directly under it.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Would it be to much to ask what that formula is called? Or maybe a simple diagram explaining it.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
I would plan on at least 300 lbs for the tank (25g tank at ~10lbs a gallon, plus fish, plants, gravel, decor, pumps, filters, etc.....) and you're in the 300 lb range. Personally I would go 350 just to be on the safe side. If it was me I'd look at buying just a stand. I don't think they're too expensive. If I were to use that desk I'd slide the tank to the left so you have one strut right in the dead center.

phesarnion

AC Members
Feb 20, 2013
Reading, UK
Would it be to much to ask what that formula is called? Or maybe a simple diagram explaining it.
I'm guessing you mean the pressure calculation I did?
I assumed that the load was spread evenly - even though it's not.
Each vertical support has a footprint of 1.6cm(w) * 40cm (d) = 64sq cm x 3 supports = 192sq cm total footprint, then divide the weight of the tank by that to give 0.59kg/sq cm.

i am concerned about racking (assume the back isn't there and the top shifts sideways relative to the bottom until it's on the floor -- well, the one side it fell onto). if the back panel is >1/2 inch particle board and securely fastened to the sides, this shouldn't be a problem. still, a paranoid like myself (don't much trust particle board) would put corner braces in the four back corners.
What didn't show in the picture is a cross-brace across the back, again made of solid wood, but only attached using metal dowels - hate those things!

I've now beefed it up using some 1x3" wood that I 'urban scavenged' - for the uninitiated - found in a skip!. It spans the gap under the middle of the tank - should help avoid any bowing of the tabletop.

Slide the tank all the way to the right so two vertical support members are directly under it.
Thanks, didn't think about that, have done.

So, now me and the missus have both simultaneously danced on the tabletop and judged it immovable - scientific, I know! - It's time to test fill and check for any bowing or movement. Fingers Crossed!

Shall update you guys tomorrow!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm with Subrosa, have the tank weight over the 2 upright supports to the right side...& be careful of spills, particle board is very susceptible to warping if wet...& you "should" be good to go, particleboard is always iffy around water but with a "real" wood top, the dangers are very much lessened.

wmm502

Registered Member
Mar 5, 2013
The real issue that I would worry about is whether it is completely level. You don't want the water to be distributed unevenly- Your tank will crack. Get a level and make sure the desk is level.

As far as weight goes, have 2-3 average-weight adults sit on it. If it's not bending/wobbly then it should be fine.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i just noticed that the right side is not supported laterally at the bottom. is the 3" brace that you mentioned placed along the bottom or the top of that opening?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store