Angel Genetics and other Tank Upkeep question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kcail1

Animal Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2012
Louisville Ky
I have two locally bred Angels. The colors on these fish are so unusual I looked up Angel genetics ( I stink at posting pics so I'll be very detailed in my description) It has the Zebra stripes only part time... the stripes fade in and out at the will of the fish. It's not a trick of the light and it's amazing! It also has partially leopard spots along the dorsal area. Overall color is silver with a spine of copper color along the dorsal and hints of blue on the operculum, head (rostrum) and up into the dorsal fin itself. I also see irridphores along the ventral areas near the tail and belly.

Just amazing... It's smaller tank mate has some features but not those stripes that come and go at will. Anyone know of an Angel doing a squid imitation?!

Also... I've had a Gold Angel many years ago and never worried about water quality. Now that I'm back into tanks I've read up that Angels need lots of water changes to keep their tank clean. Is this like a "gold fish" issue... lots of feces? Just curious.

Thanks for any tips for these beautiful fish.

26 Gal
5 Silvertip tetras
4 Black skirt tetras
2 Angels
4 snails

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
ok changing colors(fading) is normal for Angels , some particular color morph more so..Black or DD black less so..stripes angels ( zebra, clown etc kind of fit the same mould as striped aka silver) also tend to show fading..both Scalare and Altum exhibit the same characteristic.

clean water is generally good for all species of fishes we keep..some species respond more favorably(Discus, Altum Wild Scalare as well as most species that are wild caught)
also young fish fed more frequently will require lots of water changes.. my Juvenile "Altum and Discus get daily water changes up to 50%.
adult tanks will get at minimum weekly 50% water changes with some as much as 80%+

kcail1

Animal Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2012
Louisville Ky
Thanks for the tips. Until I added the angels, ( and as the other fish depart from natural causes I won't replace them) I didn't have a water haze issue but lately my tank has been hazy... not cloudy but just a persistant haze. How often do you feed your angels and what? They always seem SO HUNGRY and I know over feeding will severely impact water quality.

Thanks!

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Could be biofilm, or a kind of bacterial bloom of some kind, hard to say. Biofilm wipes away easily and if you include cleaning the front and side panels every few weeks or so via magnetic algae scraper, that won't continue to be a problem. If the water is hazy then some sort of bloom is taking place. Increased filtration or aeration should take care of that.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Hi....you don't say how big your angels are. The younger they are, the more often I feed them. My Julie angels I will feed 3 times a day. My adults or near adults once a day. Keep in mind that they will beg like a dog at the table for food! They are definite pigs!
So, likewise with feeding, the juries get more frequent water changes. Usually 2-3 times a week. My adults get a once a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store