Pearl Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've had my eye out for one for awhile for my 29gal. Luckily a small LFS near me carries them regularly. The owner mentioned they were one of his favorite Gouramis, so he orders them often. FWIW, he sells them for $3.69/ea.

Anyway, I got him acclimated an hour or so ago and he seems very happy along with ~11 neons (dropping like flies :(), 5 blood-fins and 4 little emeraly corys.

A little while after acclimation, I sprinkled in some food and he munched away with the rest of the little piggies.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Pearl gouramis are lovly fish. I got mine from a local LFS for 6.99 which is a bit much for a gourami, but its worth it. The colors of them are wonderful and they are a more peaceful gourami compared to a Gold Gourami.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I was concerned with Pearl Gouramis being shy. That's hardly the case! This guy is like the male betta in my other tank. He's nose to nose with you at the tank wanting to get fed. If I have to reach into the tank, he's right there supervising. So far he's very good natured with all of his tetra and cory room-mates.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Here's a vid of Pearl right after feeding time. He/she's a real hog.

[video]http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/?action=view&current=001_zpsce4e3e8b.mp4[/video]

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Nice looking fish. Looks like a female, so pearl is a good name. If it is a male, you will soon be seeing lots of yellow and orange on his fins, but to me females are really just as beautiful as the males. Good luck with pearl.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, best I can tell with the rounded dorsal fin, Pearl is a girl!

She's a really entertaining fish. Patrols all layers of the tank and even goes in through small slots on the huge plastic driftwood, explores the hollows and then pops back out wherever she can fit. The only time she makes herself scarce is during water changes.

The only odd-ball thing with her is days after being in the tank, part of one of her lower feelers broke loose and dangled by a few fibers for a few days. The broken piece eventually disappeared, but her feelers are of different length now.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
I'd love to get my hands on one, but no lfs around here sells them. although there is one that can import if I ask them. Still not sure about that.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Pearls are beautiful. I have had my Pearls for years. I have just one male, and he makes sure all the other ladies knows he the "Guy".

I had 2 males from my initial purchase. When they got older, the bigger males did not like another male in the tank. Had to give the smaller male away. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store