? about fish selection on new tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Herndo

AC Members
Apr 2, 2004
Visit site
My tank has just finished cycling and it's almost time to start adding fish. My "showfish" will be a Harlequin Tusk. My saltwater friends as well as two LFS's have all confirmed that a tusk and clownfish will get along fine, as long as the tusk isnt' too big to start with and is added last. Here is a list of fish that I would be interested in having in my tank in order of preference. The Clown is a must for my wife and the Tusk is for me. Please let me know what you guys think could work together. My tank is 55 gallons with 50 #'s of LR. Thanks.

Pinkface Wrasse
Paddlefin Wrasse
Coral Beauty Angel
Flame Angel
Blue Green Reef Chromis
Flameback Angel
Blueline Angelfish
Green Mandarin
Banana Wrasse
Auriga Butterflyfish
Lemonpeel Angel
Black & White Percula Clownfish
--I would also like a lawnmower blenny, would he work in there?

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Originally posted by Herndo
My tank has just finished cycling and it's almost time to start adding fish. My "showfish" will be a Harlequin Tusk. My saltwater friends as well as two LFS's have all confirmed that a tusk and clownfish will get along fine, as long as the tusk isnt' too big to start with and is added last. Here is a list of fish that I would be interested in having in my tank in order of preference. The Clown is a must for my wife and the Tusk is for me. Please let me know what you guys think could work together. My tank is 55 gallons with 50 #'s of LR. Thanks.

Here are My opinions

Pinkface Wrasse - please give Scientific Name
Paddlefin Wrasse - Please Give Scientific Name
Coral Beauty Angel - No
Flame Angel - No
Blue Green Reef Chromis - No
Flameback Angel - No
Blueline Angelfish - Please give Scientific Name
Green Mandarin - No
Banana Wrasse - Yes but would over crowd your tank with the other two fish.
Auriga Butterflyfish - No
Lemonpeel Angel - No
Black & White Percula Clownfish - Yes
--I would also like a lawnmower blenny, would he work in there? N0
With the Halequin Tuskand the Clownfish You are pretty full for a 55 gallon tank. The ones that could survive with the H. Tusk and Clownfish would overcrowd it in my opinion.

ray

ben72227

AC Members
Jun 21, 2003
Arkansas
I agree with Ray; the harlequin tuskfish is an aggresive wrasse and i would suggest keeping it with fish like: larger angels, other aggressive wrasses, surgeonfishes, sociable triggers, puffers, you get my gist? They need to be kept with active fish.

ALso, they are quite expensive. I might suggest if this is your first tank, go with something that doesn't cost over $100. If you lose him then you might be pretty disapointed and rule #1 in this hobby is that stuff dies.

As to the rest of your list:
Pinkface Wrasse - Thalassoma quinquevittatum, agressive wrasee; possible
Paddlefin Wrasse - Thalassoma lucasanum, agressive wrasse, possible
Coral Beauty Angel - possible
Flame Angel - possible
Blue Green Reef Chromis - possible
Flameback Angel - possible
Blueline Angelfish - Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis, NOT possible. It is a very docile fish; won't work with the rest of your fish
Green Mandarin - NOT possible now, needs a mature tank
Banana Wrasse - possible
Auriga Butterflyfish - maybe, but probably not
Lemonpeel Angel - possible
Black & White Percula Clownfish - possible

Heres what i would suggest:

Maybe 2 or 3 of these fish would work in a 55. They are all, mostly, large fish and they need lots of room. I would build something around the clown. If you want to keep multiple fish, get smaller fish:

Pair of Percula Clowns
2 pajama cardinals
2 firefish
lawnmower blenny

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
The reasons I said no to all the Centropye angels listed ( Flame, Coral Beauty, Flameback, And Lemonpeel) is they require mature tanks with some algae. Also some of them would get pushed arround by the H tusk and proably (in my opinion) would not survive if added after the H. Tusk. I doubt anyone would sit with an almost empty tank for 6 months to a year so he could put them in first.

Ray

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store