Fish ID assistance, please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nice barring, very busy fish. There were a pair in the tank, seemed to get along fine but didn't school. Yellowish with black bars, small whiskers, about 1-1.5 inches in length.

Closer up, a little fuzzy...

They're in a show tank at Captain Nemo's in Conshohocken. Or whatever it's called now--Natural Pet, maybe?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That was my thought, but these fish looked much different than the Panda Garra's they had in a sale tank, both in color and behavior. Difference the environment makes, I guess.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I just got a new fish book (well, new to me, the book was published in 2000) and now I'm wondering if maybe this wasn't Sarcocheilichthys sinensis? Hmm...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't think so. It has whiskers, and was more smooth skinned than that, definitely lacked the high dorsal fin.

I've been looking at the panda garras, and am pretty sure that's it. It just looks sad and stressed and unhappy when kept in typical 'sale' tanks.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Agreed, I wish that stores would attempt to group fish together with similar needs and add the proper equipment necessary to the setup. I suppose they do try, but they need to try harder! Cold water/tropical/aggressive is not enough differentiation. I swear, it seems like LFS would be willing to keep Amazonian fish in tannic R/O water before they add some Koralia powerheads and allow algae to grow on some rocks...which would be to the benefit of water quality, also.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep. but I can understand in some cases--it's not like having tons of plants would make it easier to catch fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store