Betta community tank stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

robinml

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2013
I am just purchasing a 55g tank and wish to make it a nice community tank and add my betta as he is only in a small 1g right now. What are the best tankmates (and numbers) I can put in with him? I am going to setup the community tank first then add him last so he does not get territorial first. Any ideas/advice is welcome. Thanks so much.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
They do better in community tanks than lots of people think.

I know my male betta gets along fine with blood-fin tetras, zebra danios and ghost shrimp.

A safe bet is anything small that doesn't look like another male betta.

It's a case by case basis though. Some male bettas are more feisty than others.

doormatt17

AC Members
Mar 27, 2012
Edwardsville, IL
Real Name
Matt
Same here I have male betta in with some platies and some neons and he is perfectly fine with them. I had another that didn't get along with anything. Trial and error is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I wouldn't say trial and error... Do not add any fish that are known to be "fin-nippers" or your poor betta will suffer a slow and painful death. Keep in mind though that Betta's do not like high currents so no tanks or fish that require that.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
And make sure there are hiding places, just in case. The betta will definitely be shy at first, so don't give up right away. Unless, of course, there is fin nipping going on.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, it's said that bettas prefer little/no water current, but I'd think you'd have to have SERIOUS flow in your tank for it to be bothersome to a betta. Or maybe it depends on the specific betta? The penguin bio-wheel HOB on my betta's 10gal moves quite a bit of water and yet he seems to love his little environment. He swims in the waterfall at times. In fact, when I do water changes, he insists on staying in the stream where I'm pouring the water in.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Believe it or not but bettas originally came from streams not rice fields. But they do prefer some( not much) water moverment. If your current is too fast for the betta you could baffle your filter.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store