long tentacle anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i was wondering about a long tentacle anemone. i have been doing some reading and most of it says they only need moderate lighting and current. but i usually ask on here wha tpeople think. has anyone got one? would 260 watt of power compact lighting be ok, its 2 10,000k flourescent and 2 acentic. are there any special things required for it? feeding, what and how often? there are just so many different people who say different thing. i like to ask the people who actually have and care for them. thanks again ahead of time.

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Originally posted by jessie
i was wondering about a long tentacle anemone. i have been doing some reading and most of it says they only need moderate lighting and current. but i usually ask on here wha tpeople think. has anyone got one? would 260 watt of power compact lighting be ok, its 2 10,000k flourescent and 2 acentic. are there any special things required for it? feeding, what and how often? there are just so many different people who say different thing. i like to ask the people who actually have and care for them. thanks again ahead of time.
I have mostly BTA ( Bubble-Tip Anemones) - I have one LTA - Had it about 3 years. I feed it fresh seafood once a week ( Shrimp, Scallop, Fish, Squid). As for light it depends on the size of your tank. I have mine in a tank of about 70 gallons with a 65W PC over it. It does get sunlight thru the windows in thr resturant. It seems to like flow that is a lottle turbulant. Mine moved just off of were two powerheads flow intersect.

Ray

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I also have a l.t.a but I would caution you on buying one until you are pretty experienced with reef keeping. They require some pretty good water condions and stability in your tank or they just won't make it. Tey are very unforgiving of variations in water chemistry sudden spikes in salinity, nitrate, amonia etc... I really hate to give rules of thumb but, I would wait at least a year before buying one of these beauties. The bubble tips are MUCH easier to take care of but even above them on the simplicity scale are the rock anemonies ," about as hardy as a shroom". Ok, yes I'm trying to discourage you in the short term. I absolutly adore anemonies myself and do understand the allure. I would try one of the easier ones to start with though they are cheaper, hardier and have a much faster reproductive rate in the wild. Some like the bubble tip will even reproduce in your tank under idea conditions.
hth
chris

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
well i dont want anything that will reproduce in my tank. right now i only have a 55 gallon with a 260 watt power compact. hopefully moving to a 125 in about a month. there was a long tentacle anemone at the lfs for 15 bucks. it was unusally nice looking. all out and every tentacle was full and nice looking. was just wandering about it. on the other hand i did get my first coral today. it was a rock with 2 leathers on it. it was kinda neat looking for a leather. well thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store