Question on keeping bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Southernwind

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Can one keep a male betta in a tank with two females? The tank is a 10 gallon well cycled tank. Can one have two males in there or is the tank too small for them to each have their own 'territory'? I would like to get a betta or two and I'm not sure if I can/should. I have 5 zebra danios in the tank and three raspboras. What combination of bettas, if any, can I add to this tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Since there's 8 fish in there already, I wouldn't add more than one male betta.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
^+1 I agree that it doesn't seem that you have enough room to add another fish.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jiyafuku

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
NW Pennsylvania
Real Name
Josh
I had a male and a female in my 75, for a bit. I had a lot of hiding places for them. When they did confront each other it was brief and just a little flaring and they separated. I took the male out when I added more females. The reason for this was I put a male in a twenty gallon with two females, just for a few hours while I worked on their tanks and the beat him up bad enough he died a day later. The moral of the story, bettas are unpredictable sometimes it could work, other times no. I wouldn't try two males in a small tank, though. My 75 is way more heavily planted and decorated now and I still wouldn't try it. I could see it working in a six foot or eight foot tank that was very heavily planted and decorated but the last time I posted that question, the general negative consensus was one tank, one male, no matter how big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store