24 LED flexible strip-light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
In a quest to improve the Marineland LED hood on my 10gal as inexpensively as possible for my low-light plants, I just mail-ordered a flexible 12V LED strip to run in addition to the basic LED hood for this tank.

My plan is to use plastic stick-on zip tie mounts on the underside of the hood, run the strip parallel to the OEM light and zip-tie it in place.

For $5.99 shipped to the door, we'll see how it goes. Obviously I don't expect miracles for the bank-busting $6, but it's worth a try!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Wouldn't expect to much plant wise from it, if you want supplemental LED's ecoxotic's would be your best bet but not cheap, like $60ea.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm just looking to give my basic low-light plants a little oomph.

The standard LED hoods on my 10 and 29gal are keeping these plants alive, but the only plant that appears to be growing slightly is the anacharis in the 10gal, because it's tall enough to be within an inch or two of the LED pod in the marineland 10gal LED hood.

I'm thinking you'd need something that would singe your eye-balls to make plants grow in the 29 it's so tall. It's gotta be a miracle to grow plants in a 37gal, or take a 1000watt metal halide.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Results are in for my ultra-high quality, import LED strip-light hood upgrade. REMARKABLY MEDIOCRE! LOL.. kidding.

Brightness in the tank is actually MUCH improved. To my eye, it's nearly twice as bright. When I was test-fitting the unit, I didn't think it was going to make much of a difference, but once in stalled, it makes a big difference. Will it be a light spectrum that the plants can recognize? I have no idea. Time will tell on that.

I'm not going to post pics, because the install is pretty self explanatory.

The 24 LEDs are encased in a clear, flexible silicone type material, just like pic'd above. I used some self-adhesive plastic zip-tie anchors to the underside of the hood and some small zip ties to hold the unit and wiring in place near the factory LED light on the marineland LED hood. Also needed an outlet adapter for my light timer to allow for 2, 120VAC to 12VDC power adapters. One for the factory light, one for the Chinese special. There's a smoke detector in the room. :uhoh:

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Neat! Sucks about the adapter though...ugh.

Any pics of your tank? Do you like the spectrum? I imagine it would be a little cold.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The spectrum looks good to my eye. Even the basic zebra danios sparkle under this light. The anacharis like it so much, my bundle of it broke apart and half of it is now floating around the tank.. Ugh.. gotta do some aquascaping. It's tough to tell from pics, but pic one is before the $5.99 LED mod:

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
It does look much brighter and the color looks good too. Keep us posted as to whether your plants seem to be growing better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store