40 gallon discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Berylla

AC Members
Mar 4, 2013
Here is my 40 gallon discus tank with 1 checkboard pigeon and 2 Altum floras. Enjoy!!

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Your discus are beauties !
How long have you had them ? Not long, I suspect.
A 40 gallon is large enough for 3 discus, but that's not a good number to keep for sociability/compatability reasons. I really hope you don't encounter any serious pecking order/aggression issues.
I suspect you will, somewhere along the line in future, and if you do, I'd suggest you get at least 2 more discus, and a larger tank to keep them in.
Just a caution - don't mean to rain on your parade - your fish and tank are indeed lovely.

Berylla

AC Members
Mar 4, 2013
Hi Discuspaul,

I've had them for almost 2 years. They are big - the blues are larger than CD's! In terms of aggression, the biggest blue is paired with the Checkerboard so they do "peck" at the other one at times, but for some reason, it's not that bad. It was worse half a year ago and I thought I would have to get rid of him. The pair just laid eggs for the second time this week. I do hear you though. If things get nasty, I will sell the unpaired blue. I don't have the room to have a larger tank in this part of the house. I don't like the idea of having a tank in the basement since I'll never see them.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:popcorn:Good job so far Berylla!! Do keep a watchful eye especially when the pair are active. Thats when the most damage is likely. I know re-homing is not easy but it might be best. You don't want such a beautiful fish injured unnecessarily. 40g is a wonderful home for the pair. Do consider & best of luck. "T"

Berylla

AC Members
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks, Tony. I am keeping a very close eye on them. It's hard to think of giving him away. He's getting sooo big and pretty.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store