Aquaclear 70 for a 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wmm502

Registered Member
Mar 5, 2013
Hi! I have been getting mixed answers and need a solid answer from a professional-

I currently have an Aquaclear 20 on my 10 gallon freshwater aquarium. No live plants currently, I killed them all when I switched my lighting :(

I have one male Betta, one Dwarf Gourami, 2 Java loaches, a Rubber-Lip pleco, 3 velvet wag platys, 2 Mollies, and 5 Neon Tetras (YES I know that there is too much in there and I do have a 30 gallon that everyone will be moving into when I move) :)

As you probably know, the flow rate on the Aquaclear filter is adjustable. Would work to put the propeller from the Aquaclear 20 onto the 70, or could I just use the 70 and turn the flow rate all the way down???

Thank you!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think even turned down it'll be too much on 10g. I have an AC50 on a 20g long that's a better size although if you have sand substrate it may move it around unless it's return flow hits a rock or wood.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I actuallu have an ac50 on my 10gal with sand substrate. I turn the flow all the way down( sometimes half way) and its fine. Just dont let it run full power or the sand will move everywhere.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
jasonfishaddict;2849138 There's no such thing as too much filtration said:
There is since when dealing with a Betta. He will not be happy with that much water movement from a AC70 even with it on low.

I don't think the impeller from the AC20 will fit the AC70. There's more to the filter than just the size of the impeller.

But why are you wanting to put a AC70 on there in the first place? Because it's over stocked you think that will help?

You don't need more mechanical filtration. You need more biological filtration (yes the AC70 has a bigger sponge). So if that's your goal, I suggest a sponge filter running on an air pump. They are very cheap and will give a big boost to processing the bio-load.

Chip82

AC Members
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago Il
Hi! I have been getting mixed answers and need a solid answer from a professional-

I currently have an Aquaclear 20 on my 10 gallon freshwater aquarium. No live plants currently, I killed them all when I switched my lighting :(

I have one male Betta, one Dwarf Gourami, 2 Java loaches, a Rubber-Lip pleco, 3 velvet wag platys, 2 Mollies, and 5 Neon Tetras (YES I know that there is too much in there and I do have a 30 gallon that everyone will be moving into when I move) :)

As you probably know, the flow rate on the Aquaclear filter is adjustable. Would work to put the propeller from the Aquaclear 20 onto the 70, or could I just use the 70 and turn the flow rate all the way down???

Thank you!!
I think it would be to much for that small of a tank. I have the AC70 on my 55g and it still moves sand around. Even when turned all the way down it still leaves a small sand dune.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
With the betta, I'd also say it's a bad idea. I guess an option is to put something like an AC 50 sponge in front of the output to diffuse it. For what it's worth, I've also cut a slot into an AC 50 sponge, and put it over my intake. It seems to slow the flow a bit, too, although that's less of an issue on my 55. I have it there to reduce the number of shrimp that find their way into the filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store