White worm like creature attached to neon tetra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
Just noticed this yesterday, and have been trying to research what exactly it is. I have seen him separated from the school hanging out in back of tank amongst the plants, however still seems rather active and eating! Also, I have not noticed any scratching.

The worm is attached at both ends, slightly embedded in the fish's head around the mouth area. Everything I have read online leads me to believe that this is a leech, but I want to get some second opinions so I know how to treat it. I have Coppersafe on hand, however am hesitant to start using it until I positvely identify the problem.

parameters:
5 gallon moderately planted
6 neon tetras.....no inverts
ammonia
= 0
nitrite= 0
nitrate= 10
ph= 6.8-7.0
kh= 4 dkh

Here is a pic: (I could not get a good shot of the fish, so I took one from online and drew the worm on in photoshop. It looks pretty close to what I am seeing)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!worm.jpg

worm.jpg

Last edited:

kyeung28

AC Members
Feb 26, 2013
About 5 years ago I had a goldfish with something similar on the bottom of its body by the tail. never knew what it was but i netted it up took a tweezer and ripped it out. fish did fine in, added some epsom salt to the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I had the same thing on my convict cichlid when i used to keep them. He managed to get it off by himself and i never saw it again. Just keep an eye on him and the other fish just incase it is something that can be spread. Better safe than sorry :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
Well I added a little salt with hopes that it might loosen up its grip but no improvements, so yanking it might be the only option aside from medicating the tank. Not sure if I can do an isolated salt bath for the little guy. I have successfully with other species, but do not know if a neon can handle it. The Thing with pulling it out, is that the parasite is attached right near the fishes eye, plus its obviously a small fish. I guess I will make that decision when I get home from work.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kyeung28

AC Members
Feb 26, 2013
I don't know about keeping it separately, but I would take it out and just simply take a tweezer and rip it out. A little salt i find is always healthy, but because tetras are schooling fish it may get stressed out being separated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Berylla

AC Members
Mar 4, 2013
It's probably an anchor worm. I agree with the others, pull it out, and then place in a quarantine tank for a day or so with clean water and a little salt. He should heal up nicely.

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
Well, I went in to pull the little worm off and had realized that it was gone. He must of worked it off on his own! There was a little bump on the neons head where the worm had been, but he was happily back with the others. I did a good gravel vac and added some Epsom salt solution I have mixed up. All is well!!

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store