Lost my betta :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I am not having great luck getting back into this hobby!

Woke up today to find my male betta dead and stuck to the intake on the HOB filter. The kids found him actually. He was completely intact, just pale from being deceased. His tank mates are 4 small zebra danios, 3 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. Prior to this he had 5 blood-fin tetras as mates, but they were a better fit for my 29gal. I did notice yesterday the he didn't want to eat and was just hanging around very still, at the top of the heater. Normally he had a ton of personality and follows you around. I do two ~50% WC's on this tank a week and did one along with a water test yesterday when I noticed him so listless.

Water params:
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrites
20ppm nitrates. (was ~30ppm yesterday)
temp 78-80F

The only anomaly with this 10gal is with the nitrates. It's got a lot of low-light plants in it, yet I struggle to keep nitrates below ~30ppm. I don't feed heavily either?

I dunno if it's me, Petsmart (where I bought this betta), or just luck of the draw. :headshake2:

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
Betta splendens have a life span of 2 years generally
it takes about one year to mature to a saleable size

so considering how you were attached to him i would say you had him for some time
at least enough for him to recognize his owner

that being said I would have no regrets about keeping a fish and giving it a happy life
(far better than a Vased specimen)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks.

That's the other detail I didn't think about. I've only owned him since ~02/15/13. He was a Petsmart purchase. Not thinking that I owned him for less than a month, I porcelain expressed him instead of exercising the return policy. :(

Berylla

AC Members
Mar 4, 2013
Sorry for your loss. You could try testing your water straight from the tap. Some water supplies have high nitrate. If that's the case, perhaps mixing 50% RO with your water changes?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Dang bad hit freshy. Im sorry for your loss man. I bet he enjoyed that 10gal better than those cups though. At least he died as a loved pet.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Oh, jeez, Freshy... I'm really sorry to hear about your new fish. I would have to guess something really hurt him between the breeder and Petsmart that took awhile to do him in. All we can do is give them the best home possible and I'm sure you did that.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Sorry for the loss of your Betta:(
At least he had a good life while he was with you.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks all!!

Yes, I have tested my tap water, and it tests out at a 0,0,0.

Like I say, all at once I noticed him just kind of listless, hanging out on top of the heater. He did swim around during/after the water change, but didn't eat. I left for work and he was gone in the AM.

Now I'm wondering, given he was a crowntail (big flowing fins), maybe in a weakened state, he got stuck to the HOB filter suction? He did used to swim around and behind the filter pickup with no problems. He was a strong swimmer and seemed to enjoy currents even. One of those things I'll never know I guess.

Maybe I'll avoid a crown tail next time just for good measure.

Oh, FWIW, Petsmart has a 14day return policy so he couldn't have been returned anyway.. IIRC, he was $6.79.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Even being a crown tail, a healthy fish should be able to swim away from the filter intake easily. Even though you only had him for about 3 weeks, there are enough things you don't know that you can't take it too personally. You don't know how old he was. How long he was in the cup before you bought him. If he took a spill and ended up on the floor before you bought him. Things like that. The only way to be able to answer that yourself is to raise them yourself. So, enjoy the memories, and you should likely be good to go for a new one. If you've lost faith in PetSmart (I have limited faith in them for fish) as a result of this experience, try finding a LFS or an online breeder.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, I'll probably go with a betta from my LFS. It's not the tidiest LFS in the world, but they've been OK to me recently and they keep a few male bettas in tanks with compatible fish. They don't do cups.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store