rock piling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tajia

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2013
does anyone have any suggestions on piling rocks into a high column without them falling over? i'm wondering if there is some kind of adhesive that i could use to attach them all together before putting it in the the tank as one large piece?

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ive had no luck with only using adhesives. Some people do though depending on how extreme the structure is though. For really gravity defying columns I think ur better off drilling and using pvc/acryllic rods to connect the rocj together and then using some adhesive to supplement the connection

A lot of people also use zipties but I have no idea how people achieve the structure they want with these

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
It really depends on the type of rock and the shape of the structure.

The reef sky-scrapers (solid, nearly totally vertical) are using rods and/or zip-ties with epoxy to fill in the gaps and blend the structure together. The epoxy isn't actually holding it together in these cases.

For the steep-sloping structures you can often stack the rocks with just epoxy (and superglue if you a little more strength) very carefully. But in these cases it is more about the stacking then the epoxy to hold it together. And you need to make sure the parts that rely on epoxy are rather light and not likely to get bumped around.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Drill holes and inserting plastic rods would be best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store