using a clamp on light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
I'm looking to use a few of these kind of lamps to light my tanks, but trying to think of how to attach them and have it look nice. Anyone have pics/examples of tanks using these kind of lights?
81N318mT4QL._AA1500_.jpg
Thanks! :pikachu:

81N318mT4QL._AA1500_.jpg

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I can not help on clamping them but I saw in another forum that the person unscrew the socket and painted the outside of the lamp black. I will try to find the link if I can remember which forum. I mostly hangout on AC.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
you can probably paint the outside black with a high temp spray paint (high temp depends on your lights really, from autozone or advance auto or somethign) and then remove the clamp and hang it from the ceiling for the best look.

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Get spray paint designed for woodstoves. Painting the outside black and the inside white looks really nice, and might even improve the reflectivity of the dome.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
I actually don't mind the look/color of the lamps themselves, I was just trying to get ideas on how to actually have them on the tanks... Hanging from the ceiling or mounting them on the wall is one way I've been thinking, but we do like to redecorate on occasion and that would seem like quite the pain to move...

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
For the bigger tanks, I'd agree and wouldn't mind hanging the lights from the ceiling or mounting them on the wall like that, but 20 gallons and 10 gallons are pretty easy to move around. I'm surprised no one has these on their tanks with pictures, I've seen them recommended a few times...

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
on my tanks i use white plastic eggcrate -- the plastic grate , ~3/4" squares, used for modular fluorescent ceiling lights. i trim it to fit into the top, with appropriate extra openings for the filters, and just stand the lamps flat on the plastic, 1 or 2 per tank depending on how bright you want things.

i use spiral cfl's so heat is not an issue -- definitely not recommended if you use incandescent lamps of any type.

unless you're using particularly messy foods, you can feed the fish through the grate without having to open/lift it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store