How hard to reseal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Looking at possibly reselling my 125g tank. Silicone doesn't look the nicest and parts have peeled away. So I was wondering how hard is this job? Never done this before.

Also where do you find the top/bottom trims?

kyeung28

AC Members
Feb 26, 2013
I usually give my tanks a new silicone reseal when I pick them up. I always begin with a good clean, take a razor blade and remove old silicone from edges. I DON'T advise in messing with the silicone between the glass holding it together. Clean the tank up good, then wipe the edges down with rubbing alcohol. Resealing is the easy part, just requires patience and time.

I have always used aquarium silicone, but that will cost you a fortune. I will switch over to GE Silicone 1 for my next reseal project. (The clear one)

1 Begin by taping the sides of the tank on the inside leaving about an inch on both sides from where the glass joins on the edges. I use painters tape

2 Once taped apply silicone to the edge, work with small portions from one end to the other. Using your finger (vinyl gloved) guide the silicone along the edge (once again a portion at a time) once that portion of silicone thins/spreads out on the edge put another dab of silicone and keep working it along the edge. you may have to go through the same edge a few times to have a leveled coat of silicone

3 resealing the bottom, sometimes its only necessary add silicone to the bottom to reinforce the edge but it all depends on how the old silicone is holding up. The bottom requires more silicone.

once all edges are done remove tape BEFORE the silicone cures

After resealing i let the tank sit dry for like two-three days

Take your time and do it right the first time and you wont have to worry about it for many years. have fun:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store