Hello from Seattle, need advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bobmac

Registered Member
Mar 12, 2013
tank=50 g
filter=aqua clear 200 now called 50
6 neon tetra
5 black skirted tetras
4 rasbora het
1 beta
problem...got 3 cory..they died within 3 days..a few days later the beta died...a few days later 4 neons died
I do regular 20% water changes about every 2wks & change media
I also have an ongoing algae problem that coats items in the tank and glass, requiring regular wiping.
I think the filter pump may be under rated for 50G.
what do you think??

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Welcome, Bobmac. I think you're right about being underfiltered. I have the same AC50 on a 20 gallon and it seems just about adequate. In addition, changing your filter media can remove much of your good bacteria needed for processing nitrogenous waste. Just a gentle rinse in some discarded tank water is all that is needed. Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? You may be going through another cycle and will have to increase the frequency and amount of water changes to avoid further problems.

bobmac

Registered Member
Mar 12, 2013
thanks..I also might add when I bought the corys, I dumped them in the tank with the water they came in. I later was told it is a good idea to not include the water they came in as to add any "bugs" from another tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
welcome aboard bobmac.

couple things..can you provide water parameters? (include temp, pH, NH3/NH4, NO2, NO3)

I can suggest that you do not add new fish to an existing tank without first utilizing quarantine practices.. IE..I QT fish for 4 weeks prior to adding to an existing system.
if any signs of infection appear..I treat the fish then restart the qt time.

it's just safer that way ;)

btw are you completely changing the media in the filter? you can often just rinse the media.. I use a ac 70 on my 50 gall along with other filtration(sponges, powerheads)
in my ac 70 I don't use carbon and substitute an extra sponge in place of the carbon.
if you change the media you may notice a small spike in parameter readings bu the bacteria usually re-populate fairly quickly. tho if you do notice a spike it is prudent to monitor the params daily and do water changes more frequently if NH3 or NO2 should appear.

bobmac

Registered Member
Mar 12, 2013
thanks for advice I have received...I now have a AC70 in addition to the other filter. I will give it a few weeks for the chemestries to ballance out before adding any more fish. I should get more in tune with the specific water parameters and aquire some testing methods instead of just "shooting from the hip".. I would ask what is the best/reasonable/reliable testing products/methods to use. thanks Bob

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Many folks here will recommend the API master test kit. It would be advisable to get the test kit soon and check frequently for ammonia and do water changes as necessary to keep it below .25 ppm. Eventually the tank will cycle and you can go to a more normal water change schedule like 40-50% weekly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store