Best Substrate for Cory Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DFSmith

AC Members
Feb 12, 2013
Los Angeles
www.danielafernandesportfolio.blogspot.com.br
Real Name
Daniela
Hello, everyone!

I'd like to know if it would be ok to have cory catfish (I'm thinking specifically of Corydoras habrosus) in the tank with the substrate I have right now.

It's a small tank, 10 gallons, with natural plants (a lot of anacharis, a java fern plant, some vallisneria and an anubias), two rainbow rocks and 7 black neon tetras, and the substrate is Eco Complete by CaribSea. The impression that I have is that the particles are kinda sharp, so,I'd like to know if I can use it, anyway, if it's save for their barbels, or if it would be a good idea to put a layer of something like Tahitian Moon sand, by CaribSea (which is black, too, and easy to find nearby).

I'm going to take a picture of the tank, so you guys have an idea of what it looks like.

I've tried to search for the answer before asking it here, but couldn't find the answer for this exact question. Some people say it would be ok, some people say it won't, but I can't even find the information that I've looked for once, anymore :(

Oh, and I'm thinking of 4 cory cats. There some really cute, really small ones at the LFS, just saw them last Sunday. I know that there are some smaller species of corycats (pygmy cories?), but I can't find them anywhere!

Thanks a lot, in advance!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think it is OK. I have ECO in my 120 with corys.

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
I have also kept corys with eco complete and i never noticed any irritation with it.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Like the others have said, there should be no issues with corys. I like your tank. You could throw a background on the tank and hide those wires. Good luck.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I'm not sure the fish know the difference. You could use something as simple as plain cardboard, or even colored paper. Many people use wrapping paper. Whatever YOU think looks good is usually the best. I just use a plain blue background from the LFS. Good luck.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
View attachment 205636
This is what it looks like now :)
Awesome tank!:D:thumbup:
Love the black neons. Where did you get the rocks? They look cool.
I never see dwarf cories in the Petco or Petsmart. I have 8 Corydoras Habrosus in my 20 gallon high. Here is a short vids of one eating Bladder snail eggs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WfBJLUrGw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
They are so cute and extremely active. I got them shipped from Msjinkzd here on AC. Shipping was a very reasonable price.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store