Sick Goddie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Two goldfish in a 45 gal for the past year or so. (Comet and a common). Out of nowhere the comet has a curved body and swims (barely) in circles. I checked parameters, all was good 0/0/20. Did a 33% WC, added salt, (1 TBL/5 gal) but he still looks like he is not going to make it. No signs of bloat, and no white spots. Nothing new introduced into the tank for well over a year. The other fish is fine. What gives? I'm at a loss.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
From the description, it's kind of difficult to tell what might be the matter. A comet and a "common" are the same kind of goldfish. Were these two feeders? If this is the case, sometimes the rough handling conditions and breeding can lead to problems that don't appear until the fish gets older. I hate to say so, but sometimes genetics can be a factor in goldfish. You just don't know what happened. You don't say how big these fish are, but at over a year, a comet can easily grow to 6 to 8 inches. In a 45 gallon, that can be a little tight with two of them. Have they always been in a 45, or were they in a smaller tank when younger. Is it possible that the affected fish has experienced some kind of stunting?

You say there are no white spots, but are there any signs of streaking? Damage to the fins? Are the fins of the affected fish clamped? Just looking for a clue that might help you to solve the mystery.

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
From the description, it's kind of difficult to tell what might be the matter. A comet and a "common" are the same kind of goldfish. Were these two feeders? If this is the case, sometimes the rough handling conditions and breeding can lead to problems that don't appear until the fish gets older. I hate to say so, but sometimes genetics can be a factor in goldfish. You just don't know what happened. You don't say how big these fish are, but at over a year, a comet can easily grow to 6 to 8 inches. In a 45 gallon, that can be a little tight with two of them. Have they always been in a 45, or were they in a smaller tank when younger. Is it possible that the affected fish has experienced some kind of stunting?

You say there are no white spots, but are there any signs of streaking? Damage to the fins? Are the fins of the affected fish clamped? Just looking for a clue that might help you to solve the mystery.
Sadly we lost Wasabi today. He has always been in this 45, so I doubt stunting was an issue. Yet we had him for well over a year and he was maybe only 3-4 inches. No idea, he looked perfectly fine no streaking, no rot/damage to fins.. a true mystery.

I was always under the impression a comet was a common with more flowing fins.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
So sorry for your loss.:( All I can tell you is that sometimes with goldies, it just happens and without an autopsy, we never know for sure what caused it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store