Angel Fry dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
07-July-2004, 04:11 AM

My angel fry die afther free swimming
[HR][/HR]I seriously need help...

My Angel fry start dying afther they are free swimming, and i dont know why? After hatching they hang in a bunch in a corner they are in 10 gal tank with a air stone to start then when they are free swimming I change that air stone to a sponge. At this point some are swimming around with no problem afther 2-3 days I start finding them dead?
While in the egg stage and wiggle stage I use Hydrogen Peroxide. When they become free swimming I clean the tank every day. I clean the bottom with a solid plastic tube and regular tubing at the end of the solid tube. I first do a 50% water change and then from then on I do a 25-30% water change. Orriginally the water was cycle buy adding strained waste from a waterfall filter in another angel tank and at least 50% came from the parent tank. I add chlorine remover and lately I have added a little aguarium salt.
I feed two or three half full eye droper of some live baby brine shrimp after the use up their sacks. I make my own shrimp and the left overs go in a jelly bean size Ice tray for when I need it. I feed them the bbs and off and on some egg yoke in little eye droper 2 times - three times a day. My PH is 7.5, I have no Nitrates or Nitrites, the ammonia is in the yellow range which is perfect. I keep the temperature between 8.0 - 8.1
The fry seem to be fine for a few days but then they start dying. A few die one day and then more the next day more untill I have just a few left. I know I am doing something wrong. At this point I have 4 tanks of fry that have made it to dime size and they are doing fine and I have 4-10 gallon tanks where they keep dying. I haven't made any changes, so why do some make it and others doent. Am I over feeding them, is my water bad. I don't know what to do. Please help me. Thanks.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) Using "Orriginally the water was cycle buy adding strained waste from a waterfall filter" only means that the water maybe good, but is your filter working??

2) I would use that filter in the main tank to "Seed" first.

3) THe water reading do not look right. There should be "0" Ammonia, and low Nitrates. Your "0" Nitrates worry me. Looks like tank or filter not cycled.

4) New born fry needs lots of food, are their bellies full?? They should look fat!

5) I would also do bigger daily WC. 50% or more daily.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
The filter I got the strained water from is working fine. The filter in the fry tank is a sponge filter and that is fine. I had my water tested by my reputable local fish store not a chain pet store and they said it was fine. The tank has been filtered for quite some time and cycled. No the fish are not fat but I give them plenty of food. I am not sure if they are eating. When they die they seem to be bloated or very skinny. I will do bigger water changes. Buy the way I have another tank that has Swordtail fry and they haven't died. In fact they are doing very well and getting big.

Last edited:

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I tested the water again this morning. Using the strips I found Nitrates 40 Nitrites 1. Both just 1 step over the 0 my Ph is 6.0 and ammonia is excellent. I am doing a 50% water change this morning.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The filter I got the strained water from is working fine. The filter in the fry tank is a sponge filter and that is fine. Buy the way I have another tank that has Swordtail fry and they haven't died. In fact they are doing very well and getting big.
Tht's not what I mean. I hope the sponge filter has good bacteria on it.

Livebearer frys are tougher at birth, not a good comparison.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store