Spiralling Tigers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Recently I decided to start up my larger tank. It has been sitting empty for about 6 months except for some plants. I removed all the excess debris, algae, etc. Then I set the tank up to do afishless cycle for several weeks with a seeded filter, while I considered what to stock with. I decided, since the last crash was instigated by a faulty heater to go with hardy, cool-tolerant (not cold!) fish. Rosey barbs or gold barbs seemed like a good choice. When I got to the store, the roseys were all female and looks poorly. Instead I decided to go with green tiger barbs because they complimented my tank. I purchased 5, although I would usually only put in 3, I was afraid of pecking order issues with just 3 fish.

The barbs have been in full color, eating, and behaving normally, jousting and darting around for a week. No signs of illness or stress. No one being picked on. Unless yesterday evening. One of the barbs was swimming in a slow, wide circle around the tank, slightly tilted, No other visable symptoms of stress or illness, no gasping, red gills, spinning, flipping, etc. Full color. Ate. I did a 25% water change and let them be.

This morning he was on his last fin so I put him down. I noticed another barb starting to do the same thing. I removed him from the tank and he died sometime during the day. Now a 3rd barb is doing the same thing. The other 2 look and act 100% healthy.

Tank: ~15 US gallons
Perameters: No access to test kits
Filter: Korean brand of internal filter rated for 30 gallons w/ spray bar turned to the wall
Set up time: several weeks fishless cycling; 1 week with fish
Water change schedule: 15% every other day
Water changes in the past 24 hours: 25%, 50%
Fish: 5 green tiger barbs - 1 week
Plants: baseball sized java moss ball, sags, and anubias
Feeding: dried brine shrimp eggs, random pellet food every other day
Temperature: 70 F
Symptoms: loss of balance, slow, tilted spirals but could control up and down, not completely flipped on their side or belly

Did I get a bad batch of barbs with a contagious illness or is it a water quality issue of some kind killing them? More water changes?

I have another tank but they can't go in there because it houses male guppies and a pair of German blue rams. I did notice that the store's tank no longer has green barbs in it, so either they died or were purchased over the past week.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I forgot to add I used my last test strip from the States before adding fish (I'm aware they're not great butthe no liquid rule on carryons made the liquid impossible for my friend to bring back for me). Before adding the fish it was pH: 7.2 ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 and nitrate 40. I do not have access to any more tests.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Unfortunately, the 3rd barb passed in the night. The other two aren't showing any signs but they are now trying to beat each other up. The 50% water change made them very energetic (even the spiralling one) to the point where the spiral barb went in a separate net to protect him from bullies.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Last barb isn't looking good.

How long should i wait to add new fish in case of disease? Will letting the tank run empty be enough?

Mamajin

Psychotic Female
I'm sorry for the losses, and wish I could offer you some advice. I'm too new to the hobby still.

Just wanted you to know that your thread wasn't being ignored.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Sorry about your tiger barbs. It could be bad stock, or a disease, pretty hard to determine from the symptoms. Personally I would tear down the tank and wash everything with hydrogen peroxide just to be on the safe side. Your healthy tank could provide instant seeding material and you'd be up and running in no time.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Thanks for the reply. It's a strange situation I've never run across before. I'm going to nuke the tank with a heater and let it re-cycle again for a few weeks before trying again. After talking with some people, we decided it was most likely a bad batch of barbs. Luckily they were the only fish in the tank! I also located some test kits, but I'm not in a position to pay $70+ for them :(

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Oh yeah, I do plan to drain the water and swap it out and sanitize the filter/hard decor. The plants make it tricky to do a total tear down.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
The "head standing" and disoriented swimming you describe are two typical signs of nitrite poisoning. I'm sorry you're so far away, test strips (not as good as the drops, but better than nothing) run around $13 over here.

I've noticed sometimes tiger barbs have bloat issues that also lead to the tails up swimming position...so it might be you did get a bad batch of fish, but I would also fishless cycle your tank for a bit longer in case your tank isn't fully cycled. A tiny bit of flake food, fed every day, for about two weeks should do it, or you could use a prawn/cocktail shrimp left in the tank, if you think you might forget to add flake food daily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store