Plants slowly dying with LED hood.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm giving up on my attempt to grow low-light plants with the standard 10gal Marineland LED hood. I even tried to enhance it by adding another string of 24LEDs to no avail. I really like the hinged hood and the way it lights up the tank, but for plants? Not so much. They're slowly falling apart. We're talking basic low-light plants; Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Anacharis and Amazon Sword.

I did research this prior to buying this 10gal kit, but found no conclusive info on growing plants with it. I love the idea of LEDs. Lots of light, no heat, little/no power consumption and they make the tank look great. In order to grow plants with them, you really have to do your homework and spend some bucks.

I don't want to give up on the plants in this particular tank, so I bit the bullet and mail-ordered an Aqueon 20" incandescent strip light, a 20" Versa-Top and two Zoo Med day light 6500K CFLs. There's really no 20" twin-tube T5 strip lights that I could find.

Another ~$59 chalked up to the hobby.

DFSmith

AC Members
Feb 12, 2013
Los Angeles
www.danielafernandesportfolio.blogspot.com.br
Real Name
Daniela
Hi, Joel!

I have the same tank as you do, 10 gallon Marineland, with almost the same plants (just don't have the Amazon Sword plant and I have some vallisneria). For how long did you have the plants in the tank before they started dying? Are they all dying?

My vallisneria seems to be dying, too, or at least, trying to survive :(

I'll have to eventually do the same as you did. Where did you order all these stuff? I'll probably buy online, too, can't seem to find any hood that would fit and be good for my plants on my LFS.

Thanks and good luck with the new setting!

DFSmith

AC Members
Feb 12, 2013
Los Angeles
www.danielafernandesportfolio.blogspot.com.br
Real Name
Daniela
Oh, and I just read, you ordered incandescent strip light? Are incandescent bulbs good for plants? Or are you going to use it with something else? (sorry if it sounds stupid, I don't know much about lights, yet)

Update: Just looked on Amazon, and the last thing you've mentioned are actually fluorescent bulbs, right? Sorry for the silly question!

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hello Daniela.

The plants have been in there for about 7 weeks. I keep the LED hood on for ~12hrs a day. I have FloraMax in this tank for substrate. Only the amazon sword is planted in the substarte. everything else is fixed to something to keep it at the bottom. Roots have grown on the anubias nana, but no leaf growth. Same with everything else. The Java Ferns look terrible too.

FWIW, I mailed-ordered the new hood, cover & bulbs from Petco. Hated to do it because I really like this LED hood! Oh well, I'll save it for another 10gal!

Edit- Yes, CFL = compact fluorescent light. I'm using those in the incandescent hood. Google Zoo Med CFL or the likes.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Joel:

Sorry for your experience. :( I too do not believe that LED lighting is strong enough, but some say that it is OK.

I have always used CF lights for my tanks.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have the marineland double bright LED on a 10 and a 20 and have had no trouble with low light plants. I imagine though the single bright would not be able to cut it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have the marineland double bright LED on a 10 and a 20 and have had no trouble with low light plants. I imagine though the single bright would not be able to cut it.
Good info!

I see that you can get an 18-24" one for ~$60. I considered that too, but couldn't find a lot of info in regards using them on small freshwater tanks for growing low light plants. That would have been about $80 for me including a glass vera-top... BUT you don't have to worry about re-lamping them once a year. Big cost savings.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
with the versa lid you maybe able to strip the LED's off the marineland and cobble together a housing to set on top of the versa so you can use the LED's with your new lighting. Yeah its hard to find any quality fixtures smaller then 24"

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Joel:

Sorry for your experience. :( I too do not believe that LED lighting is strong enough, but some say that it is OK.

I have always used CF lights for my tanks.
The cheap fixtures and most of the LED's sold in big box stores are inadequate for most plants, if you look up the specs on the most of the marineland fixtures they use cheap chinese 0.02 watt LED's so the unit would 50 bajillion led's on it to add up to anything, a quality LED fixture will be using LED's are the 2-3 watts each, most of these are special order from small manufacturers or DIY kits. The few larger quality manufacturers are mostly focused on reef lighting.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I thought about that. Given I've already tried to 'improve' my Marineland LED hood by adding 24 more eBay LEDs, I'll probably just keep it as is and use the Marineland LED hood for a quarantine tank some day.

It would take some doing to remove the LEDs from the marineland light pod anyway. They're all housed in a black plastic rectangle.

You could strip-out the LEDs from my 29gal Top Fin hood very easily. That's a totally different design. I'm going to keep that tank live plant free for now. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store