Cloudy Water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snoringord

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2013
Hey, I'm new to the site and a beginner with marine tanks. Could you help me?
I have 37gal tank + 20 gal sump that has been running for 3 months. Almost all of my live rock is in the sump. I have 3 crabs in the tank and small powerhead.
I have 0 nitrites 0 nitrate and 0.25 ammonia.

My problem is that my tank water is cloudy. How do I get rid of it. How does one achieve crystal clear water like I see in all of your photos..???
I've cut down the lighting to 3 hours a day to try and reduce some cyanobacteria that has being starting to grow in the sump.
Is my flow not strong enough? I have 3 areas where filtering occurs. In the overflow, my canister pump (that I use instead of just a regular pump), and in the sump.
What should I do?
I could add a photo if you think it would help.

I really appreciate the help.
Thanks,

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
The photo would help so we could see what level of cloudiness your talking about.

Do you have any flow hitting the sandbed? Or do you often stir up the sand bed? Both of these would cause cloudly looking water. Also, it depends on how fine your sand is. Really fine sugar grain size sand would be really hard to keep still...

Otherwise, people have used carbon in various forms to get that clear looking water. Im not sure if skimmers also play a role in water clarity (but I would guess so since they are basically removing dissovled solids from the water column).

Keep in mind that the type of tank you have also plays a role. Acryllic tanks tend to appear more clear than glass tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store