Our sunfish are dying...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EB13

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2013
We have a very large freshwater tank at work that has been the home to 10 pumpkinseeds, 5 shiners, and 4 large goldfish for almost two years. Today, I found 8 of the ten pumpkinseeds dead, and another that doesn't look so good, and I have no clue why. The water hadn't been changed in a while, but we've been keeping the filter clean...What could have caused only the sunfish to die? And all at once? They seemed healthy enough. I did a complete water change today, but the other sunfish still doesn't look so good. Any ideas?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Welcome, EB13. Sorry to hear about your fish dying. When a death or illness occurs, testing a water sample for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates is in order, since most often the answer can be found in these results. Cleaning the filters is good but refreshing the water with regular weekly changes is a must. Perhaps sunfish are more sensitive to adverse water conditions, but until we have more information it's really not possible to help.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sounds like some sort of contamination with pesticides or cleaning products, run some carbon and continue doing water changes.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Any water test numbers?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store