Bizarre death tonight

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Capstone

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2009
Garland, TX
Real Name
Michael
Lost the star of my tank tonight. All looked/look perfectly healthy. Fed them some pellets. Made sure each got a little. Not 5 min later my Red Top Zebra (what it was sold as) or Lab. "Hongi" (suspected) was belly up on the sand making labored gill movements. Then started darting around the tank upside down in spurts. Finally came to rest with his fins quivering for a long time.

Can a fish choke on its food? :)

Any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1363828069.874925.jpg

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Not really, as they pass water over their gills to draw in oxygen, more than likely he was attacked by another fish and the stress killed him, did you do anything other than the feeding was a large water change performed or any added chemicals..

Capstone

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2009
Garland, TX
Real Name
Michael
He was the top of the pecking order and largest in the tank (except the Tang. Goby). Nobody messed with him.

No changes other than the feeding. All others still fine this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
At times we as hobbyist just lose a fish for some reason or the other, if your water perimeters are fine and nothing was abnormal with water changes or any adding of chemicals one could speculate, an example would be aggression where one fish is chasing the other and the other mistakenly swims into a rock causing trauma then death, stress is also a big factor as well, some fish cannot handle stress as easily as some. If you start to see more obvious signs of distress with some of the other residents make sure you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH..

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I agree with Pitt that stress sometimes does it. I had a beautiful two year old auratus female that for some reason one day decided it was just time to die. It acted in the same fashion as yours, and I assumed it just bloated itself out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store