Kribensis Babies!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! My kribensis finally laid eggs, and they have hatched!!! I don't know quite when they hatched though, and only know they've hatched because I saw a wiggling fry on the bottom of their cave. If they hatched today, how long till they need food? Also, will they stay attached to the walls until they're free swimming, because I don't see the fry on the bottom anymore, and was wondering if she just re-attached them? Thanks!

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Excellent! That was pretty fast ppetro.. Mom will head them in right direction in a little school next 2-3 days. Are you gonna use bbs?

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'll see if I can some picts. uploaded in a moment. There are a TON more on the bottom this morning though, and when I shown a light down into the cave (it looks a lot like a flat vase, with an opening at the top and then a circular, deep bottom), they started wiggling around! Its sooo amazing to watch these fish develop, especially because I've never worked with egg laying types before!

I'm not planning on using live bbs, because the only way to get them around here is through mail order, but I do have a pack of frozen bbs, and some First Bites fish food, which is basically tiny sinking granules for small fry.

I'll see if I can post some picts!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'm sorry, but the cave is just so oddly shaped that I can't get the light in there easy enough to see them without mom noticing and going into a frenzy. When she starts taking them on little outings though, I'll get you guys some picts. No guarantees I can upload them though.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Congrats, duder!!! Pretty awesome having kribs spawn. Mine did but the female went psychotic on the male so I decided to rehome the pair and use their 20g for something else.

:cheers:

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
That actually just happened to me. The female is chasing the male, nipping his fins, basically telling him she hates him, so I netted the male and he's floating at the top of the tank now (in the net). I want to know though, if I give them a day, do you think she will forget she hates him, and I can put him back in? She's being a really good mom, but there's quite a few fish in the tank, and I don't want her to loose the babies.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
You should likely keep the male away from your crew until they are separate from mom. Whatever he did..she won't change her mind until those babies are completely safe in her mind. She may be paranoid and he didn't eat anybody or she caught him hungry,..it doesn't matter. They will be strong enough very soon to forage on their own and won't need anyone to take care. Then you can reintroduce(babies gone) him to her. And begin again.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
Aren't baby kribs exciting? I had a pair of Kribs in my 30 long (not sure how it's really called, it was 36X18X12 I think). Anyway, I just put them in there because they were a beautiful fish. I didn't really care if they bred or not. I had a school of orange von rios, and a school of harlequin rasboras as well. And a clown pleco, although I never really saw that fish--it hid all the time. I had a nice piece of real driftwood, some live plants (very low light), and some flower pots (at the sides of the tank, so if my Kribs did breed, half their territory would be outside the tank--tricky that!) Well, I'd had them a while, and no breeding. But, that was fine by me. Then, I went on a week long vacation, and just left the tank to fend for itself. Much better, IMO than having someone feed it too much etc. (I did not have my light on a timer, so it was dark the whole week). When I got home, was I shocked to see mom and dad Krib leading a school of little babies all around the tank!! All the other fish were fine too--no serious aggression or anything! I did not make any attempt at netting out the fry, and after a few weeks, they all disappeared, and mom and dad started over with a new batch of babies. If I were serious about keeping the little ones, I would have netted them out after a week or two, but instead, I let mom and dad eat them and make more.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store