circulation questions regarding my shell dweller tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
I recently set up a 33 gallon shell dweller tank. I have noticed that the two Aquaclear filters are doing a nice job of keeping the water clean, but I don't have as much surface agitation as I'd like to see. I have also noticed that there is good circulation across the front of the tank but there is less flow across the back side. I was thinking about either using one Hydor Korilia nano 425 in a rear corner aligned along the back wall of the aquarium or 2 nano 240s in opposite front and rear corners to create a circular flow. I'm not opposed to using two 425s but I'm concerned this may be too much current. Has anyone ever used a circulation pump such as the hydor korilia nano for this application? Would you recommend this type of current in a shellie tank? Would it be good or bad for them? If you would use this type of circulation pump, would you use one across the back or smaller pumps in opposing corners? Is the Hydor Korilia a good pump or is another brand better? I know I have posed a-lot of questions. Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts you have.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would think you'd want something with slightly less current as opposed to overpowered current. Remember that they live on the bottom of the tank so if the pressure from the powerhead is blasting water down from the corner it might create a heck of a time for them on the bottom. Great idea though! I'm in the process of establishing a 20g long for my girlfriend and she loves shellies.

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply. We are on the same page. That is why I'm considering some of the smallest available pumps. I don't want the shellies fighting a strong current all the time. I'm also hoping to generate some flow without disturbing the substrate too much. These guys love to dig and make huge mounds of sand. I think the smaller, 240, size pumps parallel with and close to the surface will do the trick. I'm hoping someone has some experience they are willing to share before I shell out the sixty or so dollars on what could end up a failed experiment.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah be careful on the turbulence, shellies are not fond of the extra movement, when i was doing the shellies setups i was using maxijet 400 and 600 and where perfect with the sir diffuser

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks Pittbull. I had been out of the loop for several years. When it comes to equipment I'm a little behind the curve. So, the old standby maxijet powerhead is still viable. I wasn't sure if the newer propeller circulation pumps had made them obsolete. I found the maxijet 400 for 16.00. I'l let you know how it works out.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Whats good about the Maxijet is that it is small but powerful enough, has a nice suction cup cradle and you can add the diffuser to create a nice bubble effect..

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
I placed an order today on Amazon. I checked out the LFS but my lord 39.00 for a powerhead was way too much. I was really happy to find a couple Aquaclear 10 powerheads, I think they have been discontinued, on Amazon for 10.00 each. I purchased both just in case I want one on each end. I have used this model in the past. I love Aquaclear products. It is a very small powerhead so it won't take up too much of that valuable space in the upper region of the shell dweller tank. Of actual importance, it is efficient and rated for 80 GPH. I should get surface agitation and circulation at the back of the tank without blowing anyone away with overly strong currents. Well that is the plan. We'll see what happens.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Adding the Venturi makes a huge amount of noise, in my experience. I can't stand the sound it makes, personally, like a toy helicopter under water. It also creates an large amount of bubbles, more than I like to see for my viewing pleasure...I would only use it on a tank that had very high oxygen demands, like a hillstream loach setup.

Personally, I find the Koralia nano makes a perfect amount of circulation for tanks around 30 gallons. I have one in my 29 gallon tall, it works well. A 33 is very shallow, so you'd have to put it near the top so as not to disturb them. You do have more flexibility as to where you can angle the flow with the Maxijet, so perhaps that is the right choice. My water is extremely hard, so the suction cups quickly fail when they get too much calcium buildup, so a powerhead/circulation pump with a magnet is the only kind of reliable mounting hardware for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store