growth on my Oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dana C

AC Members
Jan 1, 2013
I was hospitalized for a week and came home to seeing my oscar with what looks like a small round growth on his lower jaw very close to the opening of his mouth. There is also a spot on his left eye. I need some help here as it seems my buddy is sick and lethargic.the water parameters are great and I did a 30% water change when I got home. His only tank mate is a Raphael CF and the tank size for now is 55Gal moving up to 100 gal. next month. I have a penguin 350 and an emperor 400 running.

What do the experts think this is and what are the treatments?

Dana C

AC Members
Jan 1, 2013
My water parameters are: Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates now 5ppm after being very high when I got home on Saturday.
The left eye is cloudy in the front third of it. Hopefully you can see the growth on the picture.

Oscar pimple.jpg

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The growth is lymphocystis. The bad news is, it's incurable. The good news is, so are cold sores. It's caused by a virus, and it tends to act in fish the way the herpes viruses work in people. Keep up on the water changes and feed a good diet and it will probably go away on it's own. It normally doesn't hurt the fish, but the location of that lesion is worrysome. When lympho does cause serious problems it's because the lesions are large enough and properly located to interfere with vital functions like eating and breathing. That one is properly located to cause problems if it gets big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store