Mystery heaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I bought a box of used aquarium equipment for a great price. Two of the heaters have no identifiable info on them. So I dunno how many watts or make or model. But they look to be in really good shape.
Is there a way to accurately measure watts or do I just need to see what size tanks they heat or over heat or don't heat up? Livestock free, of course. Even so, I'd prefer a more accurate way bc I'm heater shy after having some that have been wonky.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There's a product known as a Kill a Watt, that you plug into a wall and then plug other things into it. It will tell you how much power anything you plug into it is using. If you don't want to spend the money, with an accurately measured amount of water, an accurate reading of room and water temperature and a good watch to time the rate of temperature rise you can easily calculate how much electricity was used. I can't, but maybe you can!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
Kill a Watt units seem to be fairly pricey, starting with say $20 and going up into the hundreds. all you really need is an AC ammeter; mutlimeters cost about $10 at radio shack or ebay ( like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Digital...983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec6e7e59f

power = [line voltage (120 Vrms in the USA)] X [ac current (amps)]

i would think that you would lose (or gain) so much heat from the sides and top of an aquarium that the heat rise method would be very unreliable.

you could try it in say a large mixing bowl; put the heater and your thermometer into a large mixing bowl, cover it with a measured amount of water, and let everything settle to room temp. them insulate the sides (towels should work) and top (cover with saran wrap and then put a towel on that) and run the heater for 10 minutes (set it high enough that it will have to stay on the whole time.)

Heater power (watts) = [temperature rise (degrees F) in 10 minutes]
x [number of 8 fluid oz cups of water in the bowl]
x [ 8/9 ]

stir the water a little before reading the temperature, since the water will not be u niform.

looked at another way, a 100 W heater will raise 10 cups of water by about 8 degrees F in 10 minutes.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Kill a Watt units seem to be fairly pricey, starting with say $20 and going up into the hundreds. all you really need is an AC ammeter; mutlimeters cost about $10 at radio shack or ebay ( like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Digital...983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec6e7e59f

power = [line voltage (120 Vrms in the USA)] X [ac current (amps)]

i would think that you would lose (or gain) so much heat from the sides and top of an aquarium that the heat rise method would be very unreliable.

you could try it in say a large mixing bowl; put the heater and your thermometer into a large mixing bowl, cover it with a measured amount of water, and let everything settle to room temp. them insulate the sides (towels should work) and top (cover with saran wrap and then put a towel on that) and run the heater for 10 minutes (set it high enough that it will have to stay on the whole time.)

Heater power (watts) = [temperature rise (degrees F) in 10 minutes]
x [number of 8 fluid oz cups of water in the bowl]
x [ 8/9 ]

stir the water a little before reading the temperature, since the water will not be u niform.

looked at another way, a 100 W heater will raise 10 cups of water by about 8 degrees F in 10 minutes.
****, forgot the heat loss coefficient!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store