angelfish breeding advice needed urgently

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vmax666

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2013
hi there
just before we begin i would like to say hi im new to the forum and this is my first post

anyway i need some advice

i have been trying to breed angelfish but am not having much luck, i have a lovely pair of fish that are good layers (usually lay around 100 eggs evey 2-3 weeks or so) and i have been trying different ways of growing the fry with no success at all so far,

1st brood were not expected and so i had no choice but to let parents care for them which was fine until they were free swimming they did a great job up until i put some food in the tank for the parents at which point they seemed to get confused which was food(i just used some flake on this occasion) and which was the fry and they then just ate everything in sight, now i know its not unusual for angels to eat the fry especially when they are new to parenting so i do have a few questions however i will list all questions in a moment in 1 place.

2nd brood, i had a slate in the tank and they parents were kind enough to use it for me so i pulled the eggs and place them in a seperate tank with some meth blue and they all hatched out lovely but then they started to die of a and by day 4 of them being free swimmimng they had all died, i did plently of water changes and was very careful not to over feed the tank was only very small (only bout 3 gallons) but it was purely to be used as a hatching tank and then after a week of so of free swimming i had a 40 gallon ready to put them in

3rd brood, parents not so accomodating this time they ignored the slate and used the spray bar for my filterso i moved the spraybar to the other end of the tank and put a partition in which all went well and fry hatched ok but then the parents got clever and managed to start sucking the fry through the tiny holes in the partition and ate them all

my tank set up is as follows:
40 gallon tank with sump and wier that has hopefully now been made fry friendly with the use of sponges to cover wier overflow combs, tank is divided in half with 2 dividers 1 is clear perspex with holes in 1 is material screen(similar to net curtain material to stop parent sucking the fry through, no other fish in thank on either side
gravel on bottom in side where parents normally live and glass bottom in other side where i was originally hopeing to hatch the eggs in, running a uv sterilser to help keep bacteria to a minimum

4th brood, eggs just been laid on wall of tank :duh: so here goes the questions

Q1 obviously im gonna have to let the parents raise the fry this time so lets assume they hatch ok how can i try and avoid the parents mistaking the fry for food when i feed the parents

Q2 if i move anything once the fry are free swimmimg would it be better to more fry or adults,

q3 how soon do fry need to be separated if at all?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store