filter got wet... in a bad way >_<

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
I took my filstar xp3 from my turtle tank outside to blast it clean with the hose, and I got interrupted (isn't that always the way?), and the pieces of the tank were outside for several days- during which they got heavily rained on, of course. I put the top of the filter unit in the shed for a few days to dry off, and brought it inside today to put the filter back together. Well, when I picked it up, water poured out of the lid from all sides, including the hole in the side from which the power cord comes out.

So, now, my husband and I are a wee bit concerned about plugging this thing in and firing it up..... I mean, I know it's designed to work around water, and water passes through it and whatnot, but I'm not well-versed in the inner workings of these things and I have no idea how well-sealed whatever electrical stuff in there is and if this thing is safe, or if we need to let it dry out for a while longer, or if it's probably toast and I need to buy a new one.

Anyone? >.>

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've had them pretty wet, including having water come out of the cord hole. If you plug it into a GCFI you'll be safe enough. Just make sure the cord and your hands are dry.

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
The only gfci outlets are in the bathrooms and kitchen..... this is in the dining room, at least twenty feet away from the closest one, which would require trailing an extension cord across the room and through a doorway. This is not feasible lol

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Does it look like the filter head has an easy to remove shell cover or is it held in place by screws? This may enable you to determine if there is still water trapped in the area the electrical cord protrudes from.

Also, many canister manufacturers' encase the electrical components in epoxy so that it can't be exposed to minor water infiltration. It could potentially also survive being fully submersed in water for a brief time without an issue. I've accidentally dropped my Eheim pump head in a pail of water and have had no problems with its use.

If you try shaking the pump head, does any water still come out of it? If not, you should be fine. I might still consider placing the pump head in a bag of dry rice as that will help remove any remaining moisture in the pump head.

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
Well, I found when I got home that there were indeed screws on the cover that I could remove, so I did, and it is indeed encased in epoxy. Schweet! :D Thanks! ^_^

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
No problem, glad it worked out OK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store