Chocolate laid eggs...by itself?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
So my chocolate cichlid...about 5-6 inches has been excavavting in my tank big time. i couldn't figure out why. Today I finally see she laid eggs. There is no other fish in that tank for her to breed with. There is a 10 inch flagtail, 3 very juvie severums about 2-3 inches, 4 firemouths, 2 angels and a few serpae tetras. Is this common? Am I missing something?
Will this happen frequently?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorta like birds in the sense they will lay the eggs just need the male to fertilize them.. Yes she will continue to lay eggs but as long as no males are present to fertilize then they should be eaten and this is completely normal behavior..

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Thanks Mike! I guess I didn't realize they would do that. I thought their egg laying was in response to hormone presence. Shows what I know.....!
How often will they lay?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No problem, really not sure on that species but if i were to ballpark a guess i would say at least 5 to 6 times a year.. As for hormone presence i have witnessed different species and types go into breeding mode when another pair has started the breeding process so your not wrong in that sense but a few other factors can also play into situations.. Mostly due to nature and that their senses are telling them its time to reproduce following genetics..

But i believe in your situation it was a role in genetics telling her she needs to reproduce..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store