$1/gal sale = dangerous.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm in deep now...

Just got home from Petco with $55 worth of fish tank. I shoulda stayed away, but couldn't resist. Petco was stocked to the hilt with tanks. At least a dozen 55's, a bunch of 20's, 29's a few 20L a TON of 10's, even a 40B. A few odd-balls too, like 38's? The 40B was a neat looking size, almost squarish looking top down into it. Cool if displayed with a 4 sides visible.

Surprisingly, my darling bride took to the hobby, prompting the purchase of the 55. She suggested getting the old kitchen table out of the laundry room, and "putting a tank there". The kid's expressions were funny when my wife was helping me carry it into the house. WHOA!!! :22_yikes: How the heck do you guys lug tanks around twice this size?!?

This tank will be right up in front of a large window. Ideal for plants I assume?

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Did you buy a cover and lighting? Dollar per gallon always looks like a good deal to me until I need lighting, covers, heaters, filters, etc...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you kiddevo. That's the stuff that adds-up and Petco knows it. I didn't buy anything but the tank at the moment. My plan is to mail-order a stand, then piece-meal everything else. I'll need two 24" versa-tops, then 48" worth of lighting. There's a great source on eBay that I've been using for inexpensive filter stuff. I may try an import canister filter from him.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Very inexpensive (and easy) to build your own stand. 2 x 4s or 4 x 4s. Google DIY aquarium stands to get plenty of ideas. Good luck and congrats with the new tank.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Other then my 90g all my tanks came from Petco $1 sales, I almost never buy any equipment from them though, I think I've 1 versa top and one of the Petco brand metal stands, everything else came from online orders.

Trying to resist going by there as at the moment I have enough equipment to setup 24-30" tank, just lacking the extra tank.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I am so lucky that a) I live over an hour from a petco, and b) I'm only allowed one small tank where I live. Otherwise, I'd have so many tanks right now. (of course, I would have the problem that they would be just tanks, no tops or lights/ stands etc.) However, I will have to keep an eye out for this sale when I am able to have more tanks. I've got a few in storage for that time, but I think I may need 1-2 more. I'm not 100% sure. I know I can't go over board, but I can have more than one. I plan to keep the 37 I currently have, set up another one like it (but probably have it be snail only (breeding maybe)), and do a 125 and a 60-- one for male only cichlid, haps and peacocks, and one for denison barbs, pictus cats, and clown loaches. Those might be all I do I suppose. In which case, I wouldn't need any more. But I might like to do a brackish pallidarium for some mudskippers. Dunno.

Emily

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
This is NOT helping - I have been fighting the urge to upgrade one (or both, lol) of the kids' tanks to a 55......

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
All of my tanks have custom built stands. All were made for under $60 except my 40g and 100g, which were $90 and $135 accordingly and built for atomic bomb blasts and future additions.

I just bought a 29g at petsmart on sale with filter, heater, hood, light, for $60. Just another head up that there are more options than the $/g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store