UV Sterilizer-Would it help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
I have read a ton of posts on UV and I'm still a little confused. I have a 75g, 30g, 29g and 10g tank and never have a problem with green or cloudy water (thank goodness). I do have algae, green and brown, that grows on the glass and rocks and plastic plants quickly. I use a quarantine tank and never have disease trouble. My water seems to be very clear but would a UV system make it even clearer?

Will a 9W Turbo Twist plumbed to a slow flow power head with a sponge filter eliminate the algae problem I have? If so, how often would it need to run? I want it to be portable to use on all my other tanks. I just went through the unpleasant job of pulling everything out of my tanks and scrubbing everything today.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Attached algae it will not help. It is only useful for things in the water column that would be circulated through the UV unit. I use one as needed, but not for algae, I use it for bacteria in Q tanks. It is effective for that I have found. There is some pretty good information here, which is where I bought my unit. http://americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
My experiences with using a UV sterilizer for several years has been very good.
They certainly help with producing very high water quality and conditions, among the other good things they do, with respect to circulation, water flow/movement, removing surface film, oxygenating, etc..

And of course they effectively deal with green water conditions, but will not rid your tank of any other algae unless you can get it free-floating into the water column, so that the UV can pick it up & nuke it.
I suggest you wipe/scub/remove all the algae that you can from the glass and plants - often if need be, & get it free-flowing in the water where the UC can pick it up & deal with it.
Won't remedy the root cause of the algae, but will help limit it & control it as it grows.

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
Now would be a good time to have one seeing I just scrubbed everything. I have decided on an Aquatop CF400 canister with the built in UV. I know I'll need to slow the flow while running the UV lamp a few times a week.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I personally see no use for them. I guess they can kill certain things that can flow through them but they never fix the underlying reason for bacteria or algae etc.

Water changes, fertilization, co2, lighting, quarantine, hospital tanks and general maintenance are all extremely important in maintaining a healthy tank that is free from algae and bacteria.

If you have to pull and scrub you most likely need to fix some things with your tank. UV might not have helped avoid this.

-Chris

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Coach- I suggest you try importing recently caught fish from acid waters as in the Orinoco Basic, Rio Negro etc. and having them live 3 weeks if you do not have a UV unit which was on the tank before they arrived and for some time after they go in. My experience is limited to wild altums in this regard.

You will learn the usefulness of a UV unit.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I personally see no use for them. I guess they can kill certain things that can flow through them but they never fix the underlying reason for bacteria or algae etc.

Water changes, fertilization, co2, lighting, quarantine, hospital tanks and general maintenance are all extremely important in maintaining a healthy tank that is free from algae and bacteria.

If you have to pull and scrub you most likely need to fix some things with your tank. UV might not have helped avoid this.

-Chris
Having used them myself, I totally agree with this. They are like putting a band aid on a problem. Find out what the problem with your algae and parasites are, and fix it. If you want to use them in a QT tank when importing fish, then that is probably a good idea. But for the average hobbyist, they are not a necessary expense. Keeping up with water changes, having lights on a timer, and using a QT before putting new stock into an established tank would be the best thing to do without spending money on a UV sterilizer and pump for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store