My Jack

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Male or female?

This "guy" has been with me for a while. I got jack around 5 inches. He's grown a decent amount but I feel as though he hasn't grown to his full potential. He was cooped up in a 55 gallon for about 8 months. And is now in a 125 gallon.

He seems to eat very sparingly. Not very agressive. So I wonder if he's eating enough?? I've actually had feeders in the tank too and he didnt touch them/ doesn't care about small fish.

Also I have trouble getting him to eat period because he is so shy. He doesn't want to come to the top of the tank. And if he does he darts up and grabs a small piece and darts back down to hide. All my other little cichlids pretty much jump out of the water.

He does eat the occasional ghost shrimp.

I have flakes, pellets, freeze dried blood worms, and freeze dried krill.

Anything else I can try??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1364953212.031819.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1364953231.898675.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1364953249.248207.jpg

Maddhatter

AC Members
May 24, 2009
Try This

Perhaps you can emulsify the food with a little water almost paste like and send it to the bottom of the tank with a flexible hose or turkey baster (almost like you would do fry). He might be more apt to eating it like that, at least until he overcomes the shyness.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
You got a male Jack Dempsey. Being in a 55 gallon wouldn't stunt his growth unless the proper water changes were not being done or the tank was over crowded which would ultimately go back to not enough water changes. If he isn't eating normally you could try using soaking your fish food in garlic extract. Heard this works wonders as it acts as a hunger stimulant. Allot of people swear by it. I have not tried this myself since none of my fish have never had hunger issues.

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson
I generally use the ratio of mouth to body as a guideline to feeding. Fish with a large mouth for their body size normally eat other fish, and even in the wild often tend to gorge then fast. Examples would be Pickerel, so called FW Barracuda, and Peacock Bass. I feed such fish once or twice a week as much as they'll eat. Fish with very small mouths in relation to their body size tend to be pickers which feed continuously unless a lack of food or presence of predators prevents it. They should be fed smaller amounts more often.
Might just not be hungry, rather than shy or timid. I mean you've tried a lot of foods, and he's the king of your tank. If he was hungry he'd get some.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jcm707

AC Members
Aug 3, 2013
how can you tell the difference between male and femal jack dempseys? ive had one fore awhile now, ill post pics later today

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Males tend to have longer fin that usually extend past the tail and more vivid color.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store