Canisetr check valve to slow the flow, harmful?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
I just ordered an Aquatop CF400 with the 9w UV. Will restricting the flow on the outlet damage the unit from too much pressure? I don't plan on running the UV full time and realize the water needs a slower flow to make the most of the UV. I'm thinking a valve on the outlet would be fine while running the lamp. I just don't want to blow a gasket or damage the motor or impeller.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The flow rate is fine as is for free floating algae. The slower flow rate is required for killing parasites.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I have 2 Fluval canisters which support reducing the flow by no more than 1/2. Not certain it's okay for all canisters. I wouldn't recommend it. Equipment is designed and tested to perform under certain conditions and any change you make compromises its performance. If there's a question about causing damage to the filter by restricting the flow, then don't.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jcahow

AC Members
Jan 9, 2010
I have a number of Eheim Ecco canisters where I just use Seachem DeNitrate which requires slow water flow to work correctly. I have flow ball valves in the output lines which reduce the output flow by more than 75% and they have been running non stop for many years with NO problems. I have always heard than you do not want to reduce the input flow to much but it is fine to reduce the output flow. That being said I run sponge pre-filters on all my normal Pro II/III Eheim canisters (which run wide open) and when they get dirty the flow is greatly reduced for days sometimes before I notice it. The sponge filters are cleaned off and the flow returns to normal volume and this has been going on for years as well. Eheim Ecco canisters are cheaper and have NO burn out protection so must have some water going through them at all times. The more expensive Eheim Pro II/III models have burnout protection and it is not a worry for low flow volumes.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
as jcahow said above, pumps can't stand having their INTAKE throttled back, but throttling the output is usually OK.

for your situation, however, why not just put a bypass (with a valve) around the UV light to keep the total filter output steady, while limiting the flow rate through the UV light however you need?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It is unlikely that filter is going to have room for such a DIY project. I have one. The UV filter is inside the canister, and the media baskets have an opening (that doesn't have much spare room at all) in it, and UV is connected to the lid.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
as jcahow said above, pumps can't stand having their INTAKE throttled back, but throttling the output is usually OK...
Yep, that's pretty much the nature of any centrifugal pump. Perfectly fine to throttle the discharge, but throttling the suction can cause cavitation, suction hose collapse, air getting into the system, etc..

Not an issue with the tiny amount of power these pump motors consume, but discharge throttling this type of pump, takes the load off the motor and allows it to draw less power.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store